Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 25 September 2018 - The new phones that are stuck in the past

We read about some new phones designs that look more like something from the past....

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180814-the-new-phones-that-are-stuck-in-the-past

Vocabulary Top 10:

lounging around - to spend time resting or relaxing

sleek - straight and smooth in design or shape

tinker - to try to repair or improve something (such as a machine) by making small changes or adjustments to it

tempering - making (something) less severe or extreme

translucent - not completely clear or transparent but clear enough to allow light to pass through

niche - the situation in which a business's products or services can succeed by being sold to a particular kind or group of people

reminiscent - reminding you of someone or something else : similar to something else

stimulus - something that causes something else to happen, develop, or become more active; something that causes a change or a reaction

aesthetic - of or relating to art or beauty

sceptic - a person who questions or doubts something (such as a claim or statement)

Would you use this type of phone? Why/why not?
What features would your ideal phone have?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would I use this kind of ' monolith ' ? Would it do me to possess such basic, no-frills device, whose screen, when present, just allow me to write down two lines ? ( CHECK )

Well, I did, I used to have such kind of phones, @NatashaT, simply because I belong to a generation who witnessed the advent of mobile phones.

My first phone was a small Nokia, whose screen was so tiny, that you had to repeatedly press the lower side of the central button, in order to scroll down, line by line. ( CHECK )

When you happened to write a longer text, it was frustrating to back to the message's top, to read it again.

Needless to say, it had just the two necessary features of texting and calling. ( CHECK )

Besides, there were no notifications, alerts of any kind, since it had no internet connection.

These days' problem with smartphones, I understand, is that you feel the urge to frequently keep in touch with the present moment. ( CHECK )

So you incessantly get startled and cling to the phone at any brief buzzing and tinkling coming from the ' vibrating living thing '.

When the actions repeat again and again, they shape a cycle of habit, you end up, to cite the article, with ' the phone surgically attached to your palm '. ( CHECK )

In the case of my old Nokia, though, it was quite the opposite; it came with ease that you forgot of the actual moment, the extent it kept staying mute: you got absorbed with the much more interesting reality and landscape around you.

You better joined your friends or colleagues' conversation, because it kept quiet in your pocket; surrounded by a self-oblivion easing darkness; engaged in its own passive, gradual effort to transmute into nothing more but just an inert piece of metal. ( CHECK )

It kind of fell into a state of quiescence, a lower level life, the way some insects do.

So much so, however, that you might end up forgetting of its own existence.

During a torrential rain, while I was wearing a rain-coat but no umbrella, in fact, it happened that I found it inexorably, fatally drowned in one of my rain-coat pocket, which filled with water: just the capacity of a swimming pool for phones. ( CHECK )

Stoically, it hadn't emitted any alerts even in such extreme danger; nor had it vibrated or flashed a mayday.

BTW Unfortunately, while writing my comment, I couldn't help checking my substitute outspoken smartphone, though; I've grown an addicted too CHECK :D

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !