Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 25 September 2018 - The new phones that are stuck in the past

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,000 Teacher
We read about some new phones designs that look more like something from the past....

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180814-the-new-phones-that-are-stuck-in-the-past

Vocabulary Top 10:

lounging around - to spend time resting or relaxing

sleek - straight and smooth in design or shape

tinker - to try to repair or improve something (such as a machine) by making small changes or adjustments to it

tempering - making (something) less severe or extreme

translucent - not completely clear or transparent but clear enough to allow light to pass through

niche - the situation in which a business's products or services can succeed by being sold to a particular kind or group of people

reminiscent - reminding you of someone or something else : similar to something else

stimulus - something that causes something else to happen, develop, or become more active; something that causes a change or a reaction

aesthetic - of or relating to art or beauty

sceptic - a person who questions or doubts something (such as a claim or statement)

Would you use this type of phone? Why/why not?
What features would your ideal phone have?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would I use this kind of ' monolith ' ? Would it do me to possess such basic, no-frills device, whose screen, when present, just allow me to write down two lines ? ( CHECK )

Well, I did, I used to have such kind of phones, @NatashaT, simply because I belong to a generation who witnessed the advent of mobile phones.

My first phone was a small Nokia, whose screen was so tiny, that you had to repeatedly press the lower side of the central button, in order to scroll down, line by line. ( CHECK )

When you happened to write a longer text, it was frustrating to back to the message's top, to read it again.

Needless to say, it had just the two necessary features of texting and calling. ( CHECK )

Besides, there were no notifications, alerts of any kind, since it had no internet connection.

These days' problem with smartphones, I understand, is that you feel the urge to frequently keep in touch with the present moment. ( CHECK )

So you incessantly get startled and cling to the phone at any brief buzzing and tinkling coming from the ' vibrating living thing '.

When the actions repeat again and again, they shape a cycle of habit, you end up, to cite the article, with ' the phone surgically attached to your palm '. ( CHECK )

In the case of my old Nokia, though, it was quite the opposite; it came with ease that you forgot of the actual moment, the extent it kept staying mute: you got absorbed with the much more interesting reality and landscape around you.

You better joined your friends or colleagues' conversation, because it kept quiet in your pocket; surrounded by a self-oblivion easing darkness; engaged in its own passive, gradual effort to transmute into nothing more but just an inert piece of metal. ( CHECK )

It kind of fell into a state of quiescence, a lower level life, the way some insects do.

So much so, however, that you might end up forgetting of its own existence.

During a torrential rain, while I was wearing a rain-coat but no umbrella, in fact, it happened that I found it inexorably, fatally drowned in one of my rain-coat pocket, which filled with water: just the capacity of a swimming pool for phones. ( CHECK )

Stoically, it hadn't emitted any alerts even in such extreme danger; nor had it vibrated or flashed a mayday.

BTW Unfortunately, while writing my comment, I couldn't help checking my substitute outspoken smartphone, though; I've grown an addicted too CHECK :D

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !