Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Letters or Modern day communication techniques(includes communicating via internet)

ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 252 ✭✭
edited October 2018 in People and Society
I do not know whether I should say this but back in time when there were letters, the information had worth, I mean it was scarce, as there were less services or technology, that piece of a paper mattered more than anything to a soldier's wife, a son living away from parents, government officials but now it is just ... poof, send me an email, the words in the letter meant so much and even the letters were preserved by some recipients, this dictated how much they were attached to something but now it is all formal, .... email says meeting at 9, a huge proportion of the previous generation still don't know how to use a computer or even how to E-mail, it'd appear to the young generation as a mere instance of illiteracy but the people of previous generation don't give a damn about it. So, we know nothing can beat the classics, I am with the letters.
Post edited by ech0pandit on

Comments

• Marina117Marina117 Posts: 1
    You are right, when people write e-mails nowadays they put less attention to what has been said compared to the written letters. In case of letter, it could be arrived in a week or more and it must been written only on two sheets of paper. So people weighted all sentences. Now we can exchange words quickly and cheap. But I try to concentrate on a good side: with a written letter you can't speak to anyone from another continent or country!
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 252 ✭✭
    I agree with you @Marina117 this can be so much relative to the food we eat, the food earlier times was so much cherished because we had to wait for it, although the wait killed but when we recieved the food, we got so much satisfaction, although in today's life it can be seen that people don't want to wait and want something very fast, in earlier times, people were so careful for just getting one chance to send the letters, for example in case of the wives writing the letters to their husbands who were soldiers.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,349 mod
    I find that snail mail is exactly that these days. It seems to take 7 - 10 days quite often for a letter to and from France and the UK. Okay from Nepal it is more like 7-20 days, but it is a lot further away.
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 252 ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I haven't heard of snail mail, but the name says it all. Although I do believe writing letters created a different type of joy or curiousness in young children which generated the hobby of stamp collecting, in the present time we rarely see or hear that someone has a hobby of collecting stamps.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,349 mod
    edited November 2018
    True enough @ech0pandit, I suppose these days most people don't see envelopes with stamps. I think they still print nice postage stamps in Britain, but in France they tend to be very boring, unless you get Red Cross ones where the post office donates a small amount of the cost this charity. Otherwise they have a sticky label with the price (no design), or small red stamps with the head of Marianne, patron saint of Paris and the French Revolution.