Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

Monday Night Owls - 1 October 2018 - Should you wake up at 2:30am?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read an article discussing whether you will be more successful if you wake up really early in the morning:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20180914-should-you-start-your-day-at-230-in-the-morning

Vocabulary Top 10:

cryo-chamber - a small space inside something (such as a machine or your body) where you go through cryotherapy (any treatment that involves the use of freezing or near-freezing temperatures)

workout - a period of physical exercise that you do in order to improve your fitness, ability, or performance

ungodly - very bad or shocking : outrageous or unacceptable

miss out - to lose an opportunity : to be unable to have or enjoy something

circadian - relating to the regular changes in a person or thing that happen in 24-hour periods

trigger - something that causes something else to happen

larkhood - the period of time when a person wakes up early and goes to bed early

reckon - to think or suppose (something) : to believe that (something) is true or possible

skew - to change (something) so that it is not true or accurate; to make (something) favor a particular group of people in a way that is unfair

cue - a sign that tells a person to do something

What time do you usually wake up?
Do you think you would be more productive if you woke up earlier?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm definitely the opposite of a lark, I'm rather an owl.

However, also the conventional owls wake up too early relative to my optimum: that's maybe the reason when @NatashaT's Night Owls sessions take place, I have just got up, still blinking and stretching and yawning to be best off, in order to start the working day with all my wits about me or at least handy.

I was joking: it isn't really that I literally wake up at that hour, 8:30pm in Italy, but rather that it is like I did; I mean my mind is more able to deal with cognitive processes, when I wake up late and go to bed late as well, the circadian pattern which best fits me.

I can't say why, but my body too is probably more alert after sunset, just as any owls worth its name.

Nonetheless, I admit being an early riser has its upsides:

To start with you avoid getting in the way of the other occupants of your house, if any, on their race towards the bathroom
    This way you can do your things, wash and shave your face at ease, without getting startled by frequent knocks on door urging you to clear the space of the easy-going intruder, whom, for the record, isn't but yourself.

You can also hear the early birds singing and tweeting just outside your window: you enjoy opening it and breathe the fresh air, which comes pure, pushed by a slight breeze.

Nevertheless, the silence and calm atmosphere outside relax you to the point you really start swaying, stagger back and start having second thought.

You finally make up your mind to retrace your paces to finally hit back the sack, aware, as you are, evidence are there to show the early bird has already caught the worm, so there's no point you hurry down the street to root the ground for yours.

Against all odds you have done it though: you close the door behind you and climb into your car; you start off along the desert road; there are no other vehicles in sight; nothing at all clouding the visible horizon in front of you.

After all, you was right, you had a point not to indulge in oversleeping.

No sooner have you turned into a sideroad, though, that you find clogged in a traffic-jam, surrounded on all sides by other early riser commuters like you, who keep swearing and furiously trumpeting their car-horns at one another.

Gradually the cars slacken down and come to a collective soporific halt.

Each other cars has suddenly transmuted into the authentic proletarian larks' cryo-chamber.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !