Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 2 October 2018 - Camping and Adult Summer Camps

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
We read two articles - one talking about why camping is becoming popular again, and another talking about summer camps for adults:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/monicahoughton/2018/04/16/why-camping-is-rising-in-popularity-especially-among-millennials/#5c8ca70016c0

https://www.forbes.com/sites/margauxlushing/2018/09/10/pursuit-series-an-adult-summer-camp-for-the-outdoor-curious/#7ffca8ea2373

Vocabulary Top 10:

s'mores - a sweet food that is made by putting a melted marshmallow and a piece of chocolate between two crackers

glamping - combination of 'glamor' and 'camping'; outdoor camping with amenities and comforts (such as beds, electricity, and access to indoor plumbing) not usually used when camping

cell service - used to describe how well or badly a radio, television, etc., is able to receive signals

RVs - recreational vehicles; a large vehicle that often has a bathroom, kitchen, and beds for use during travel and camping (also called camper, motorhome)

hammock - a type of bed that consists of a piece of cloth hung between two trees, poles, etc.

take your pick - make a choice

hinder - to make (something, such as a task or action) slow or difficult; to stop (someone) from (doing something)

arts & crafts - the activity of making objects that are meant to be both useful and beautiful

city slicker - someone who lives in a city and does not understand what life outside a city is like

gelled - to become clear and definite; to work well

Do you like camping? Why/why not?
Would you go to one of these adult summer camps?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think glamping could be considered real camping: to me the idea of camping means you are expected to rough it, to get a spartan holiday, with barely the essentials you need.

The only luxury into which you can indulge yourself, has to be the marvellous natural landscape, the wilds in which you dive head-first.

Even travelling outdoors driving motorhomes, has too much comforts in itself to feel real camping.

How could I match sitting squat on rocks around a campfire, in the darkness, and lying on a soft mattress, in a bright room inside the camper, soon after ? The settings are so opposed to one another, you would believe they belong to completely diverse holidays.

I think travelling in a camper, bringing with you all the comforts of your everyday life, is just camouflaging as camping your real intent to do a cheaper holiday.

You could, for instance, pull up your motorhome on the seaside, not far from the expensive hotels in the resort, and fake it until you make it: do as if you were being accomodated in the hotel whose facade you can see in the distance.

You eventually mix in the bustling centre, so that yours is nothing but the ordinary comfortable holiday, with just a hint of a nomadic, adventurous trip, due to your sleeping on four wheels.

I believe you can only enjoy the authentic experience of camping, when you camp in the wilds, far away from any human settlement, leaving behind any spoiling, cosy, accomodations or conveniences whatever.

You need to feel bare, in a way, at the mercy of Mother Nature, which can provide you with whatever needed to relax you, given you know how to take advantage of its climatic or environmental benefits, without being harmed by anything dangerous, such as biting wind or burning sun.

The extent Nature can relax, revitalize and massage you, no spa ever can come level with: I'm afraid that ' She ' is the best professional in the field.

I remember swimming in a pond of slow current, shaped by a mountain river, and feeling extremely relaxed, even if the water was very cold.

The silence of the stunning scenery, just broken by rustling foliage, babbling water, and my own breath, probably added to the magic though.

The deep wilderness can also give you sort of a lesson, an eye-opener experience which test your urban life supposed strengths and resistance; you are likely to come back more aware of your limits, perhaps even with your tail between your legs.

That's helpful too, you can grow adult faster than expected.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !