Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Share your learning to drive experiences

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 9,720 mod
I thought we could all share our experiences of what it was like to learn how to drive.

I was lucky because my father is a driving instructor, so I was able to learn for free, but I still found it stressful. I am a good driver now, but I didn't find it easy to learn, and it took me a long time.

What about you? How did you find the process of learning how to drive?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,096 ✭✭✭✭
    I failed my first driving test which was on Christmas Eve when pedestrians were running around like crazy doing their last minute shopping.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,720 mod
    mheredge said:

I failed my first driving test which was on Christmas Eve when pedestrians were running around like crazy doing their last minute shopping.

That seems like a very unlucky day to have been given, and what a disappointing thing to happen just before Christmas!
    It was a bummer @GemmaRowlands. The second time I failed in Manchester, on a tiny technicality (I can't even remember what it was), but I was third time lucky.

If I ever were to drive here in Nice, I would most definitely take a few lessons. Driving on the other side of the road for a start would be a headache.
    mheredge said:

It was a bummer @GemmaRowlands. The second time I failed in Manchester, on a tiny technicality (I can't even remember what it was), but I was third time lucky.

If I ever were to drive here in Nice, I would most definitely take a few lessons. Driving on the other side of the road for a start would be a headache.

I would have thought Manchester was quite a difficult place to pass a test as it's so busy. I learned in a town, but the time of day I passed was one of the quieter times, so I was lucky. My dad happens to be a professional driving instructor so he could teach me and tell me the best times to book my test.
    I learned to drive in Manchester, which was a big disadvantage for taking my first test and it wasn't till an hour before the test I navigated around my very first roundabout!
    mheredge said:

I learned to drive in Manchester, which was a big disadvantage for taking my first test and it wasn't till an hour before the test I navigated around my very first roundabout!

Wow that's amazing - where I learned to drive there are loads of roundabouts and only one set of traffic lights in the whole town as the rest is just made up of roundabouts, so I guess we had a very different experience.
    Not in Didsbury @GemmaRowlands, or at least not in the 1980s!
    mheredge said:

Not in Didsbury @GemmaRowlands, or at least not in the 1980s!

Yes, I think I live in the town with the most roundabouts in the whole country, so even if I wasn't very good at anything else, roundabouts are one thing I don't struggle with!
    Hertfordshire had loads, so I soon found that I didn't have any problems with roundabouts. But it was scary to have my first experience of one, just an hour before the test, and one that is a motorway access roundabout in the suburbs of London.
    mheredge said:

Hertfordshire had loads, so I soon found that I didn't have any problems with roundabouts. But it was scary to have my first experience of one, just an hour before the test, and one that is a motorway access roundabout in the suburbs of London.

Wow, an hour before you take your test isn't really the best time to start learning something you've never done before!
    It was supposed to just be a practice drive around before the test @GemmaRowlands! And on Christmas Eve too, which wasn't the best timing.
    mheredge said:

It was supposed to just be a practice drive around before the test @GemmaRowlands! And on Christmas Eve too, which wasn't the best timing.

Not the best timing at all, as that's one of the busiest times of the whole year to be driving around, isn't it?
    Couldn't have been worse timing @GemmaRowlands!