Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Do you like reality television?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 8,729 mod
I am watching Big Brother at the moment, but I know that this kind of television is something that everyone enjoys.

Do you like to watch reality TV? If so, do you have a favourite type of reality show?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,162 mod
    Short answer : nope!
  • SunInVirgoSunInVirgo Posts: 52 ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I have never watched any reality show, at least intentionally (sometimes, for example, there is a TV-set in a barber shop, then it is possible to become an unintentional viewer of television). Here was a very lasting reality show, named "House-2" ("Dom-2" in Russian) which was as popular as silly. Personally, I don't watch televison at all. In Russia, television has become the symbol of stupidity and propoganda. And I think, that is the world tendency to consider television in a similiar way. Probably, in the West, such services like a Netflix may be a passable alternative.

So, in my humble opinion, a TV-set is a good present to your enemy :smiley: As Vladimir Zworykin, the american engineer of russian origin and the man who made important contributions to the development of television (sometimes, he is named the father of television), eventually said , "I created a monster that excels at brainwashing all of humanity. This monster will lead our planet to uniformity of thinking. I would never have let my children even approach a television set". He considered the off-switch as "the best feature of television".

Of course, everybody has a right to choose what to do and how spend spare time, and I don't want at all to offend anybody who like watching reality shows. This is just my opinion, nothing more.
    Post edited by SunInVirgo on
    I don't watch TV @SunInVirgo. That is to say, I sometimes download TV series that I might watch on my tablet, but I never tune into 'live' TV. I think I have an aerial socket that might work in my bedroom, but this is the last place I'd want a TV.
    edited November 2018
    Sometimes, I download TV series, too (or watch them online) @mheredge . Though, I haven't watched any TV series this year. But about 3 years ago, I watched "Breaking bad" and "The knick". The former, in comparison to many other TV series may be considered as a masterpiece, while the latter I liked because of the atmosphere of the medicine of the early XX century. Also, at the last autumn, I watched the third season of Twin Peaks, the continuation of a famous TV series which was popular in the early 90's.

Speaking of television, I mean 'live' TV in the first place.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,729 mod

Sometimes, I download TV series, too (or watch them online) @mheredge . Though, I haven't watched any TV series this year. But about 3 years ago, I watched "Breaking bad" and "The knick". The former, in comparison to many other TV series may be considered as a masterpiece, while the latter I liked because of the atmosphere of the medicine of the early XX century. Also, at the last autumn, I watched the third season of Twin Peaks, the continuation of a famous TV series which was popular in the early 90's.

Speaking of television, I mean 'live' TV in the first place.

I like to download shows and then watch the entire series in one go, but only when I have nothing else to do.
    I have been looking for the second episode of Inside the Foreign Office but I think I need to wait a bit longer, as it was aired only a week ago. However some series, like Masterchef, seem to be uploaded to the web a day or two after they are shown on TV @SunInVirgo.
    Like @GemmaRowlands , I prefer to watch TV series in one go, without long-lasting interruptions, because, as a rule, I start to watch TV series already after their full release on TV. Though, sometimes that is not easy to do, because some TV series have too many episodes. In such cases, I just cease to watch those TV series, which are too long. That was the case with "House, M.D" , when after third(or may be fourth) season, I ceased to watch it. @mheredge
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,729 mod

Like @GemmaRowlands , I prefer to watch TV series in one go, without long-lasting interruptions, because, as a rule, I start to watch TV series already after their full release on TV. Though, sometimes that is not easy to do, because some TV series have too many episodes. In such cases, I just cease to watch those TV series, which are too long. That was the case with "House, M.D" , when after third(or may be fourth) season, I ceased to watch it. @mheredge

I don't have to watch them all in the same day or anything, I sometimes watch just a few episodes a week of things if I am busy at that time.