Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

If you had $1000 how would you spend it?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
If you were given $1000 and you had to spend it on something, what would you do? I would get some work done on our garden, as this is something that we have been wanting to do for a while.

What about you? How would you spend $1000?

Comments

• Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I'd splash out on a built-in fridge and the cabinet for it if I had extra $1000. Such fridges tend to be more expensive and there is a cabinet to buy also, while $1000 should cover the additional expense. I'm going to have a kitchen combined with a living room, so this arrangement would look much nicer.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

I think I'd splash out on a built-in fridge and the cabinet for it if I had extra $1000. Such fridges tend to be more expensive and there is a cabinet to buy also, while $1000 should cover the additional expense. I'm going to have a kitchen combined with a living room, so this arrangement would look much nicer.

That sounds like a good thing to spend it on. Doing things to your house always seems like a good investment, as it means you can enjoy it a lot.
  • SunInVirgoSunInVirgo Posts: 52 ✭✭
    If I had extra 1000$ I would stake the money on a soccer team or horse (but not the whole sum at once, of course).

If I had extra 1000$ I would stake the money on a soccer team or horse (but not the whole sum at once, of course).

That is interesting, as that means that you could make more money from it - but you could also lose the money as well of course!
  • SunInVirgoSunInVirgo Posts: 52 ✭✭
    @GemmaRowlands, certainly, sport betting is risky, especially if a person make a bet at random.One should thoroughly examine the kind of sport on which he/she want to stake. Also one should research the statistics of the team/person/animal on which he/she is going to make a bet.

Of course, there are less risky options to invest a capital, such as stock, commodity and currency exchange markets. But these markets are intended for big money, and we speak about only 1000$. Also, really big movements in a stock market occur rarely, so most of the time, probable profits also are not very big (in percents). But in horse racing, for example, winners frequently has odds more than 5/1 and sometimes more than 20/1. If we bet even 100$ the profit would be no so bad.

But there is a problem, at least in the country where I live (Russia). Many of russian bookmakers are dishonest (maybe even the most of them). If a person win even a few thousand dollars, the winning unlikely will be payed. Also only a few bookmakers enable to bet on horses. Unfortunately, horse racing is unpopular in Russia.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,745 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how I would use £1000, but I probably would spend it on travelling.

@GemmaRowlands, certainly, sport betting is risky, especially if a person make a bet at random.One should thoroughly examine the kind of sport on which he/she want to stake. Also one should research the statistics of the team/person/animal on which he/she is going to make a bet.

Of course, there are less risky options to invest a capital, such as stock, commodity and currency exchange markets. But these markets are intended for big money, and we speak about only 1000$. Also, really big movements in a stock market occur rarely, so most of the time, probable profits also are not very big (in percents). But in horse racing, for example, winners frequently has odds more than 5/1 and sometimes more than 20/1. If we bet even 100$ the profit would be no so bad.

But there is a problem, at least in the country where I live (Russia). Many of russian bookmakers are dishonest (maybe even the most of them). If a person win even a few thousand dollars, the winning unlikely will be payed. Also only a few bookmakers enable to bet on horses. Unfortunately, horse racing is unpopular in Russia.

I think I would have to do some research to find out a slightly less risky way to invest, and then do that instead.
    Actually £1000 is not that large amount of money, so as long as it wouldn't change your life if you lost it, you could risk it on investing. But unless you were willing to take a flutter with long odds, you probably wouldn't get much of return for such a small sum.
    mheredge said:

Actually £1000 is not that large amount of money, so as long as it wouldn't change your life if you lost it, you could risk it on investing. But unless you were willing to take a flutter with long odds, you probably wouldn't get much of return for such a small sum.

I guess it depends what kind of lifestyle you have. If I lost £1,000 right now, it means I wouldn't be able to pay my bills this month, so that would change my life quite badly.
    In that case, you shouldn't risk a penny @GemmaRowlands. Gambling (and investing) is a mugs game. You should never risk any more than you can afford to lose without it changing anything.
    mheredge said:

In that case, you shouldn't risk a penny @GemmaRowlands. Gambling (and investing) is a mugs game. You should never risk any more than you can afford to lose without it changing anything.

Yes I agree with that. Although having said that, it even annoys me when I lose money that I can afford to lose, so I probably shouldn't gamble at all.
    Right now I would spend £1000 on a wonderful massage and spa treatment to get rid of all the aches and pains of moving!
    mheredge said:

Right now I would spend £1000 on a wonderful massage and spa treatment to get rid of all the aches and pains of moving!

That sounds like a very good massage if it costs that much money. I have actually never been for a professional massage, and it's because I'm a bit nervous but I don't know why.
    I had an amazing massage (quite expensive) a few months ago. However I'm not sure I can justify the expense again.
    mheredge said:

I had an amazing massage (quite expensive) a few months ago. However I'm not sure I can justify the expense again.

It's one of those things I think you should treat yourself to every now and again, and you can do them maybe twice a year or something.
  • momochanmomochan Posts: 88 ✭✭
    I would spend $1000 to buy a new iPhone and send it to my mum who lives in Japan. Her current one is very old so it might be too slow and has not enough storage.
    I'd be worried carrying around something that is worth so much @momochan. Even a 200$ phone is a lot of money to lose if it gets lost or stolen.
    I know what you mean @mheredge . However, you can be less worried to lose or be stolen of smartphones in Japan than in other countries. I think most people in Japan don't want to take lost properties somebody left. They may want to bring it to the lost and found.
    True, people do tend to be a lot more honest in Japan than in most places @momochan. But you never take this for granted. I lost a camera in Singapore once and this is also supposed to be one of the most crime-free places.
    @mheredge I agree with you. But I am very surprised you had that bad experience in Singapore! I lived there for four years and I know it has a lot of surveillance cameras all over. I didn't hear of cases of theft during my stay.
    It was probably the staff at the restaurant @momochan and I agree, it was a surprise. It was my fault as I forgot the camera on the table but the following day when I noticed, they disclaimed all knowledge of it.
    momochan said:

I would spend $1000 to buy a new iPhone and send it to my mum who lives in Japan. Her current one is very old so it might be too slow and has not enough storage.

I am sure she would really appreciate that as it would allow her to do many things that she can't do now.
    I'm getting to the point where if it isn't edible or quaffable, I can easily do without it. I suppose investing in some caviar and Champagne wouldn't leave much change out of £1000 though.
    mheredge said:

I'm getting to the point where if it isn't edible or quaffable, I can easily do without it. I suppose investing in some caviar and Champagne wouldn't leave much change out of £1000 though.

Yes, things like that are really expensive, and I'm not sure I could spend that much money on something that would be gone so quickly.