Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Do you think video games can make people violent?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 8,729 mod
I have been reading some research about how video games might make people violent, and I am not sure how I feel about it. On the contrary, I feel that video games might actually allow people to get rid of anger rather than taking things out on other people, so video games might be a positive thing.

What do you think about them? Do you think it improves violence, or makes things worse?

Comments

• Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭✭
    Methinks there is no a certain answer like in all things concerning the human psyche. The games make one people violent while others discharge by playing.

Schizoids, the people who live 'inside' can become violent since they don't see the border between the imaginative and real worlds. People of opposite psycho types become less violent.

Anyway, sports and physical labour are better means to discharge. A physically exhausted person is unlikely to think foolish thoughts.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,729 mod

Methinks there is no a certain answer like in all things concerning the human psyche. The games make one people violent while others discharge by playing.

Schizoids, the people who live 'inside' can become violent since they don't see the border between the imaginative and real worlds. People of opposite psycho types become less violent.

Anyway, sports and physical labour are better means to discharge. A physically exhausted person is unlikely to think foolish thoughts.

Yes I do think it's much better to get out and play sports to use extra energy than play games, but I don't think that's the most popular choice.
  • SunInVirgoSunInVirgo Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Speaking about violence, people often like to say that video games, movies or books encourage a violent behaviour. I suppose, there is a fallacy in such statements. Problem is why a person selects to play one but not other video game, or watch one but not other movie etc. Just as like films, books, and even music, there are brutal video games, but also not brutal ones. I think, the primal source of violence is inside of an individual, and inclination to violence is given from birth, that is genetically, speaking from a scientific point of view. Some people are more cruel than others from birth. A person just searches for some things which mirror the tendency of his/her inner world. And sometimes, an effect seems to be a cause.

Speaking about violence, people often like to say that video games, movies or books encourage a violent behaviour. I suppose, there is a fallacy in such statements. Problem is why a person selects to play one but not other video game, or watch one but not other movie etc. Just as like films, books, and even music, there are brutal video games, but also not brutal ones. I think, the primal source of violence is inside of an individual, and inclination to violence is given from birth, that is genetically, speaking from a scientific point of view. Some people are more cruel than others from birth. A person just searches for some things which mirror the tendency of his/her inner world. And sometimes, an effect seems to be a cause.

Yes there are lots of games that don't have any violence in them at all, and I would always choose those kinds of games, because that's just the kind of person that I am.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,162 mod
    This is a variation on a classic IELTS question @GemmaRowlands. Myself, I tend to think habitual exposure to violence whether in games or movies numbs the senses and makes violence seem normal rather than something to avoid.
    mheredge said:

This is a variation on a classic IELTS question @GemmaRowlands. Myself, I tend to think habitual exposure to violence whether in games or movies numbs the senses and makes violence seem normal rather than something to avoid.

Yes that may be the case. I think it depends very much on the person as well, but I hate seeing young children playing violent games.
    I think the more exposure to violence, the less a person might think that it is wrong or an aberration.
    mheredge said:

I think the more exposure to violence, the less a person might think that it is wrong or an aberration.

Yeah, but at the same time I think people know the difference between "shooting" someone on a game and then the consequences of actually doing so in real life.
    I think that when people are surrounded by violence, it tends not to mean much any more @GemmaRowlands. They become desensitized. Obviously moral and principled people might not be so easily affected, but some people are easily influenced by the things they see around them. Take for example copy-cat crimes.
    mheredge said:

I think that when people are surrounded by violence, it tends not to mean much any more @GemmaRowlands. They become desensitized. Obviously moral and principled people might not be so easily affected, but some people are easily influenced by the things they see around them. Take for example copy-cat crimes.

I think education is key really. It should be brought up more in schools about the dangers of crime and education about how video games aren't real - they're so common these days that I think boundaries can be blurred sometimes.
    Morals and civic duty are subjects badly in need of teaching too.
    mheredge said:

Morals and civic duty are subjects badly in need of teaching too.

Yeah I agree. There are so many young people who don't seem to know what the "right" thing to do is, and I think that's a real shame.
  • ydogan85ydogan85 Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I still think they do but they don't according to a recent study carried out by Professor Andrew Przybylski from Oxford. I'm not allowed to give the link but you can google it.
    @ydogan85 here's a link to an article about Przybylski's research. What is interesting is how he links violence more to the number of hours spent gaming and not the types of games.

https://news.sky.com/story/violent-video-games-not-linked-to-teen-aggression-11635881

http://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2015-04-01-poor-behaviour-linked-time-spent-gaming-not-types-games
    ydogan85 said:

I still think they do but they don't according to a recent study carried out by Professor Andrew Przybylski from Oxford. I'm not allowed to give the link but you can google it.

I think there are various studies that show different outcomes, which makes the whole debate quite confusing.
    I think the classic argument suggesting violent movies or games encourage violent outcomes is as much the fact that exposure to violence tends to desensitize. Then this sort of behaviour becomes more acceptable.
    mheredge said:

I think the classic argument suggesting violent movies or games encourage violent outcomes is as much the fact that exposure to violence tends to desensitize. Then this sort of behaviour becomes more acceptable.

I think that is sometimes true as I have noticed that some young people I know do seem to be a bit angrier than I think people were in "my day".
    As a child, the thought of gun or knife crime, even in the cities in the UK was relatively unheard of, save in a few rough areas. Nowadays it feels that almost everywhere is unsafe.
    mheredge said:

As a child, the thought of gun or knife crime, even in the cities in the UK was relatively unheard of, save in a few rough areas. Nowadays it feels that almost everywhere is unsafe.

I think it was also the fact that social media wasn't around, so things might have happened, but there weren't as widely reported on as they are now.
  • nidhiinidhii Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21
    I think video games cause frustration also
    I don't bother trying @nidhii as I'm hopeless at them.

BTW will you be joining my speaking sessions next week on Tuesdays and Fridays at 8am CET?