Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

Monday Night Owls - 8 October 2018 - Having a personal uniform

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read an article about capsule wardrobes and having a personal uniform:

http://www.abc.net.au/life/building-a-capsule-wardrobe-benefits-of-personal-uniform/10289786

Vocabulary Top 10:

hindrance - a person or thing that makes a situation difficult : a person or thing that prevents someone or something from something else

pattern - a repeated form or design especially that is used to decorate something

qualms - feelings of doubt or uncertainty about whether you are doing the right thing

sustainability - involving methods that do not completely use up or destroy natural resources; able to be used without being completely used up or destroyed

op-shop - charity store; thrift shop; a store that sells used goods and especially used clothes and that is often run by a charity

fazed - to feel afraid or uncertain

flattering - to cause (someone or something) to look as attractive as possible

versatile - able to do many different things; having many different uses

guesswork - the act or process of finding an answer by guessing

function trumps form - trumps = beats, is more important than; function is more important than form

Do you use a personal uniform?
Do you think this idea would be useful for you?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To we male, I suppose, the main concern would be, in the morning, to pull out the wardrobe's drawer and scouring for a pair of socks which match, both in colour and fabric, perhaps even length with each other.

I can't imagine lingering in the dilemma what to wear today for longer than one minute.

But then, appearance is not ranking so high in the priority list of men, I believe, apart from when people are involved in specific job positions, which involve dealing with customers and the public in general.

In my case, the main push is to wear comfortable pieces of clothing, which allows me any movements: I mean I incline towards, for instance, trousers which are midway through between tight and baggy ones.

Possibly even provided with lateral capacious pockets, into which you can plunge your smartphone or other items, without having to put it into your back pocket with high risk of crushing it when inadvertently sitting down somewhere.

As for the colour, I also tend to prefer dark tones for my outer outfits, for a matter of practicality, because I daily ride my motorscooter and if I wore pale colours, they would soon get a rather greyish nuance.

It is interesting that the concept of capsule wardrobe, when coming either to children or to the elderly, seem to be mandatory.

Perhaps it depends on the fact, on the one hand children don't have a say in how they are being dressed by their parents, who always carry out such operation in a hurry.

On the other hand, older people don't have a need to continually impress or get accepted in society and make relationships anymore; their only need is to feel comfortable with themselves and their closer relatives.

The only occasion when they are supposed to wear something new, is when they have to join other people in a crowd and attend social events or theatrical performances.

In such cases, when you happen to get a theatre's seat next to them, you sometimes can smell naphthalene, which, in the shape of small balls, was once used as a moths' repellant: a certain hint their personal uniform has been revolutionized, although as a one-off change.

Therefore, the habit of using just a few pieces of clothing and stick to them on a daily basis, can also keep you from accumulating too many clothes which, in the end, can result in a waste of money, time, and, in the long term, just moth's revelling.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
    Maybe that's the beauty of a capsule wardrobe, @filauzio - if all your socks are the same, you don't have to spend any time or energy trying to find ones that match! :D

So would you agree that a capsule wardrobe = more money + more time + less moths?
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. definitely so @NatashaT, I also like to stretch a bit the trend and would invite people willing not to waste any time/money in vain, to wear the prototype of any capsule wardrobe maybe, the diving dress used by deep divers.
    This case you could also avoid keeping an eye to the sky for possible torrential rains, let alone the frowning moths. :)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
    I think you might have stretched it just a little bit too far there @filauzio !! :D