Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

At what age should children be given a mobile phone?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 8,729 mod
I got my first mobile phone when I was 12, but it was a simple phone, and nothing like all of the smartphones that young people get these days.

When do you think young people should be given these kinds of phones? I think they should be at least 16 before they have anything like an iPhone, but they should have a simple phone in case they need to call home from the age of about 12.

What do you think? Would you say that was quite reasonable?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,162 mod
    I think it depends. I would suggest a simple phone that just has voice and messaging is fine for younger children but more expensive smart phones might be more appropriate for much older kids.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,729 mod
    mheredge said:

I think it depends. I would suggest a simple phone that just has voice and messaging is fine for younger children but more expensive smart phones might be more appropriate for much older kids.

Yes I agree. I don't like it when I see very young children (some as young as pre-school) actually having their own smartphone. It makes no sense to me!
    I was amazed to see a little kid watching a cartoon on a mobile phone when I was trekking in a remote area in Nepal where there was hardly any phone signal and internet was via satellite. Even here @GemmaRowlands !
    mheredge said:

I was amazed to see a little kid watching a cartoon on a mobile phone when I was trekking in a remote area in Nepal where there was hardly any phone signal and internet was via satellite. Even here @GemmaRowlands !

It is amazing. I think children are always shocked when they can't get a signal these days, although the cartoon might have been downloaded via WiFi beforehand.
    That is true @GemmaRowlands. I hadn't thought of that. Certainly I don't expect to get far downloading anything even in Kathmandu. Speaking of which however, I am trying to download an episode of Masterchef (not the professionals) and it's taking its time. Sometimes it depends on the type of file, but all the same, the internet here has its moments when it isn't as fast as it could be. Apparently Taiwan and Korea have the fastest internet in the world.
    mheredge said:

That is true @GemmaRowlands. I hadn't thought of that. Certainly I don't expect to get far downloading anything even in Kathmandu. Speaking of which however, I am trying to download an episode of Masterchef (not the professionals) and it's taking its time. Sometimes it depends on the type of file, but all the same, the internet here has its moments when it isn't as fast as it could be. Apparently Taiwan and Korea have the fastest internet in the world.

Whenever I know I'm on slower internet I will queue up some things to download overnight so that they're there when I wake up the next morning.
    That's a good idea. This is what I do in Nepal @GemmaRowlands. Here things take hours even days rather than minutes, like here. The SIM card that I was given is 4G and isn't too bad, but obviously it isn't as good as the access in my flat.

Yesterday I tried to send some photos as attachments to an sms but somehow, maybe the files were too big, they just would not 'send.'
    mheredge said:

That's a good idea. This is what I do in Nepal @GemmaRowlands. Here things take hours even days rather than minutes, like here. The SIM card that I was given is 4G and isn't too bad, but obviously it isn't as good as the access in my flat.

Yesterday I tried to send some photos as attachments to an sms but somehow, maybe the files were too big, they just would not 'send.'

Even in the UK, I have always struggled to send photo files in SMS messages, and I have no idea why. They just seem to take far too long to send.
    I saw the guy I was trying to send the pictures to today and he wasn't surprised either. Maybe they have to be very small size files. Certainly it didn't like the size of the file of the photos I'd taken on the mobile.
    mheredge said:

I saw the guy I was trying to send the pictures to today and he wasn't surprised either. Maybe they have to be very small size files. Certainly it didn't like the size of the file of the photos I'd taken on the mobile.

Maybe, but you'd think they would have sorted it so that the photos that are taken can at least be sent via the phone's own messaging service!
    I guess if they are compressed they would go easily @GemmaRowlands.