Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Should kids be given cash to study?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
This is in the news a lot in my country at the minute, as young people are being offered cash as an incentive to do the studying that they need to secure good grades. But, do you think that good grades should be incentive enough, without being paid to study?

I am in two minds about it, so I thought I would see what you all think!

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭
    What's the world coming to when kids have to be bribed to study?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

What's the world coming to when kids have to be bribed to study?

I know, it's a shame, but it's something that I hear about all the time, as kids just seem to want to laze around and play on games rather than spend their time studying.
    I'm not sure that money will encourage these kids to study. If they are paid by results, this will penalise the less bright children too!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

I'm not sure that money will encourage these kids to study. If they are paid by results, this will penalise the less bright children too!

That's true, but if parents are setting the rewards then the aims would be set lower for lesser able children - as you just want them to do good for them.
    I think bribing children to study sets a dangerous example that they should always be paid for things that normally should not attract payment.