Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What do you do to take a break during work?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 9,119 mod
When I am working, I like to have a break every hour, so that it keeps my mind fresh. There are lots of things that I can do including going to the shops or going for a walk, and it means that my mind is fresh again when I get back to it.

Do you find that taking a break is something that is helpful to you? What kind of things do you do to get the break that you need?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,359 mod
    My favourite way of taking a break is to make myself a cup of tea or coffee.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,119 mod
    mheredge said:

My favourite way of taking a break is to make myself a cup of tea or coffee.

I like doing that too, but the bad thing is that I always want to have a snack such as a biscuit if I am making a cup of tea.
    I never keep biscuits @GemmaRowlands as otherwise I'd do the same.
    mheredge said:

I never keep biscuits @GemmaRowlands as otherwise I'd do the same.

I should stop buying them really, as I think I just eat them out of habit when I have any in the house.
    I try only to keep healthy snacks like olives and nut (though too many of these are not good either) @GemmaRowlands because otherwise I just keep nibbling till they are all gone.
    mheredge said:

I try only to keep healthy snacks like olives and nut (though too many of these are not good either) @GemmaRowlands because otherwise I just keep nibbling till they are all gone.

Yeah I think I need to try and start buying lots more healthy snacks, as I know that I will eat them if they are in the house at least.
    At the moment I am taking a break from the hassles associated with moving by escaping to my old flat, where the internet surprisingly is still working, and where I can do a bit of work without worrying about what still needs cleaning or tidying.
    mheredge said:

At the moment I am taking a break from the hassles associated with moving by escaping to my old flat, where the internet surprisingly is still working, and where I can do a bit of work without worrying about what still needs cleaning or tidying.

It's good that you have time to have a bit of a break, I think it's important to do that when you're going through something stressful!
    The trouble is that I need a break from mundane household tasks. Having time to do some work would be nice!
    mheredge said:

The trouble is that I need a break from mundane household tasks. Having time to do some work would be nice!

Mundane household tasks are what give me a break from my job, so I guess I'm the opposite of you!
    Normally this is the case with me @GemmaRowlands but this last fortnight has just been one thing after the other and so I haven't had any time for work!
  • momochanmomochan Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I like to go for a walk around the office for 5 to 10 minutes. Walking outside helps you clear your head.
    Putting the kettle for a nice cup of tea works wonders for me @momochan.
    Are you a big fan of tea @mheredge ?
    If so, why is that?
    edited November 2018
    I love both tea and coffee @momochan. The British tend to be incurable tea drinkers. I like all kinds of tea but PG Tips with milk is my favourite.
    @mheredge Oh, are you a British? That makes sense! My wife and I loved High tea when we lived in Singapore. I am not sure it is similar to British afternoon tea but we became tea lovers.
    momochan said:

I like to go for a walk around the office for 5 to 10 minutes. Walking outside helps you clear your head.

I agree that walking can help a lot. One thing I don't like about where I live now is that there isn't really anywhere I can go for a quick walk. The smallest 'block' would take about half an hour to walk round.
    High tea means a bit more than just a cup of tea in the afternoon @momochan, and high tea at somewhere like Raffles in Singapore really epitomises this now out of fashion very British tea 'ceremony.' When I visited Singapore the first time, I made a special visit to Raffles to try out their high tea and was not disappointed.

As I understand, high tea is always accompanied by some sandwiches (cucumber with the bread crusts cut off are fairly typical) and cake - like scones or fruit cake. So it is a small snack taken with tea in the late afternoon.

I drink tea any time of day, but in the morning I am unlikely to have it with any cake (or even biscuits). But in the afternoon, a biscuit or piece of cake might also be served.
  • SamsonSamson Posts: 97 ✭✭
    I walk around for few minutes, look around at people around me and see what they are doing. Then I go out to have some fresh air.I love to spend few minutes alone in the garden, to gaze at birds,squirrels and trees.This really refreshes my mind and helps me get back to my work.
    Then sometimes I listen to my favourite music to give my mind some rest.
    @Samson I think watching nature is a wonderful way to relax.
    mheredge said:

High tea means a bit more than just a cup of tea in the afternoon @momochan, and high tea at somewhere like Raffles in Singapore really epitomises this now out of fashion very British tea 'ceremony.' When I visited Singapore the first time, I made a special visit to Raffles to try out their high tea and was not disappointed.

As I understand, high tea is always accompanied by some sandwiches (cucumber with the bread crusts cut off are fairly typical) and cake - like scones or fruit cake. So it is a small snack taken with tea in the late afternoon.

I drink tea any time of day, but in the morning I am unlikely to have it with any cake (or even biscuits). But in the afternoon, a biscuit or piece of cake might also be served.

I wish that I was upper class so that I could have high tea each day, but this isn't something that people like me really do!
    It's the sort of thing that 'ladies who lunch' have time to do @GemmaRowlands. Not everyone can take a break for high tea.
    mheredge said:

It's the sort of thing that 'ladies who lunch' have time to do @GemmaRowlands. Not everyone can take a break for high tea.

I know, I would never be able to take that kind of break away from work at the moment as I am just too busy, but I suppose I can at least dream!
    Yesterday I was flat out so going to the loo was my only break!