Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

If you were to choose another country, where would you like to live?

Comments

• ericduarteericduarte Posts: 1
    I would like to live in New Zeland, influenced by The Lord of the Rings landscapes and the economic freedom.
  • amatsuscribbleramatsuscribbler Posts: 3,077 mod
    edited December 2018
    Oh dear @walter ! I can't remember. You will have to ask @Teach !
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,941 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Luxembourg is so small that I doubt fares were all that expensive @Vok, but it is certainly a great idea. I just hope that they have enough buses to provide a good service as otherwise people will still opt for using private transport. In Nepal public transport is incredibly cheap but no one likes using it because the state of the buses is so bad.
  • walterwalter Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    @Vok That is good plan. In my country driving with public transport consider as compulsory. But at the other hand, I never buy travel ticket, as and half of population in my country. Reason for this is because our salary are small and travel ticket are expensive for ours conditions. Tickets for driving of 90 minutes costs 0,90 euros.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

I would like to live in New Zeland, influenced by The Lord of the Rings landscapes and the economic freedom.

It does look very nice, but I have heard that it is quite expensive to live there, so I guess you would have to make sure you had a good job over there.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Vok said:

@walter I want to live in Luxemburg where the local plan to go for free buses will sound the death knell for travel expenses.

Many international grade banks have offices there, so if you work in this field then you might really move to Luxembourg.
    Australia is even more expensive @GemmaRowlands than New Zealand.

I've been spending the last few days in rural villagesin the Nepal Himalayas. I'm not sure if I would be cut out to be a farmer. It looks too much like hard work to me. The scenery however, is totally mind blowing.
    Having lived in Kathmandu for several years, much as I dislike the city, I like visiting and spending time here.
  • walterwalter Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    @mheredge Be farmer is very hard job, but that job has a lot advantages if you like this job. For example you are own boss, you don`t have a someone who tell you always what to doing. In other side, your fair and hard work may to be destroyed if weather conditional are not favorable. That is only one advantage and disadvantage, there are so many yet of course.
    I find most youngsters are not so keen on farming and tend to leave the farming to their parents, while they try to get office jobs in the towns and cities. And certainly in the winter, most people who can come down to the warmer places for a few months, do so as it's so cold.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

Australia is even more expensive @GemmaRowlands than New Zealand.

I've been spending the last few days in rural villagesin the Nepal Himalayas. I'm not sure if I would be cut out to be a farmer. It looks too much like hard work to me. The scenery however, is totally mind blowing.

Yeah if I was going to move there I would have to make sure that I had a really well-paid job, or it would be too much of a struggle.
    Even money doesn't solve the problems of air pollution and bad traffic congestion @GemmaRowlands. However on a fairly modest salary, you can live quite well if these things don't bother you too much.
  • rahil11rahil11 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭
    I will prefer to live in Switzerland. I have heard so much about this country and i always hope to visit there someday
    It is been so long since I had visited this forum. I want to say you guys that it a wonderful feeling to join u back. Anyone from my friends still active? @Dora @Bubbly @april @nisreen.mustafa
    Switzerland wouldn't be my choice @rahil11 as I'd find it too boring. I used to work with Swiss people who were very nice, but not the most exciting folk. Plus it's very expensive there. But the UK too, I find is not at all a place I'd want to live for much the same reasons.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,042 mod
    rahil11 said:

It is been so long since I had visited this forum. I want to say you guys that it a wonderful feeling to join u back. Anyone from my friends still active? @Dora @Bubbly @april @nisreen.mustafa

Still here, @rahil11 :D
    @mheredge I don't know anything about swiss people but Switzerland is probably regarded as the most beautiful country in the world. So my choice was purely unidirectional.
    @mheredge, Is UK not really culturally exciting?
    @april Glad to see you April. Has @bubbly left the forum?
  • slhvtndsslhvtnds Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I live in Turkey, and I like to live here.(I have no any of experience about living in another county. It might be said that: so that I like Turkey :) )

If I have a chance to chose a country, I would prefer Germany as an mechanical engineer.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 23,908 mod
    edited January 7
    Living in another country is a dream for many people, but maybe is the saying ' The grass is always greener on the other side' a very important detail. I travelled a lot to different countries in Europe to follow students abroad and every student had to make a report with the good and less good things they found of the country about the culture, religion, politics, nature, possibilities, tasks, wages, working hours etc... And usually the conclusion was, it is in Belgium not so unfavorable.
    I like it to visit new countries and then I can enjoy many things of them, and on that way I discover the charms of these countries.
  • FellFell Posts: 12 ✭✭
    @Paulette It is like Dorothy says on "the Wizard of oz": There is no place like home.
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,042 mod
    rahil11 said:

@april Glad to see you April. Has @bubbly left the forum?

She writes from time to time, @rahil11
    @Paulette I had exactly this discussion with my Tharu guide today. Tharus are the group of Nepali people who have traditionally lived in the plains of Nepal before the other settlers came since the 1970s, after malaria was eradicated in Nepal. In fact they have seven times the resistance to malaria than anyone else. Sadly most Nepalis look for jobs outside their country, but Tharus tend to stay and increasingly are becoming more educated and try to get technical and vocational qualifications.
    @slhvtnds Germany has a great scope for mechanical engineer. In fact the credit for most of the great achievements in the field of mechanical engineering goes to Germans. Though most of the inventions were a result of quest for maintaining superiorty over the French and English but those invention really laid the foundation for mechanical engineering
  • slhvtndsslhvtnds Posts: 20 ✭✭
    @rahil11, Yes you are right, there are so many fields in mechanical engineering in Germany to perform/develop myself. But I have no chance to leave my family alone right now. I wish to have a job performed both in Germany and Turkey, It would be great then in my opinion:)
    A lot of Tharus in the western part of Nepal have ambitions to be mechanical or civil engineers. However I think they look to get their qualifications locally and they will probably be able to get work in Nepal afterwards as there is always a demand for these skills.
    @mheredge it is same in India as well as in other nations adjoining nepal. But the quality of education is below par as far as engineering streams are considered, though few premier institutions like some IITs are quite good. Mostly these institutions emphasize more on theory rather than developing technical skill in the engineering students, that is the main reason why these countries are still far behind Europe and other developed nations. So even if someone wishes to study or work as an engineer in a developed nation, he/she needs to have a good practical and research oriented knowledge which unfortunately lacks among the students from this side of the world
    edited January 12
    @slhvtnds Education is free in most of the universities within Germany. You can apply in any university as per your capabilities and requirements. If you have just finished your bachelors, give a shot for MS in Germany. Who knows you may find yourself in Germany in next few months. As far as personal expenses are concerned, being a mechanical engineer you will easily find a part time job there to fulfill those requirements also.
    I think higher education is also free in Slovenia, though only for Europeans. Is this the same with Germany? I know that fees for foreign students are very expensive in the UK @rahil11 and @slhvtnds.