Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

If you were to choose another country, where would you like to live?

Comments

• MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    @walter I just checked the conversation thread ... I'm from Colombia and I've seen lots of those narcos series. Most of them partially changed the real stories, every serie has a different approach according to the side they want to show or who's telling the story. However, I think these series have been overrated. Somehow it's hard to get rid of labels so Colombia has a really big one!

As @mheredge says Colombia has transformed dramatically over the last 20 years in a good way, but there are still many things to beef up. A wonderful place with wonderful people deserves much more than attention over positive things and not precisely for its narco history. :wink:

@Shishio13 nice to meet you!!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,680 ✭✭✭✭
    Well said @Monik. I am still telling people I meet how they should visit Colombia. I think slowly but surely the world is starting to realise that there has been a lot of change in the country and it is not dangerous like it was years ago.
  • MonikMonik Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭
    That's great @mheredge seems like we have the best ambassador :smile: hope you can come again and visit Bogotá!
    One day @Monik!
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 8,016 mod
    That's great to hear. I got interested, what, who, why, how has Colombia changed?
    It had a bad reputation in the past because of the drug trade @Hermine. It takes a long time to lose a bad reputation but for several years the country has been changing its agriculture and successfully fighting the drug cartels. I met many Americans now looking to settle there now, as it is a very beautiful country and a lot cheaper for retirees to live there.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

Like any big city, there's always more crime. Right now I think London has become quite dangerous, with rising knife crime being a big problem.

Yes, true. But in London I think a lot of it is gang related, so you are unlikely to be individually targeted unless you were involved in something.
    The problem is being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting caught in the crossfire. Mosside in Manchester had quite a bad reputation for this.
    mheredge said:

The problem is being in the wrong place at the wrong time and getting caught in the crossfire. Mosside in Manchester had quite a bad reputation for this.

Yes I suppose so. At least it's not as bad here as it is in America.
    True, I think it can be quite dangerous in the USA. Again it is a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time but all the same, you never know where or when this might be.
  • OlegOleg Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

True, I think it can be quite dangerous in the USA.

So, in this case, maybe, Monaco and Luxembourg are the safest places to live? If you have tons of money :)
    Or, another way, if you have tons of money you can live safely in any place. Right?

I think both places are very safe. In Monaco there are cameras everywhere (lots of very rich people) and police who will arrest you for the slightest offence. But you have to be incredibly rich to be allowed to live there. I'm not sure that Luxembourg is so bad on this.
  • HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 8,016 mod
    Believe it or not, here some households installed cameras, although I'm sure there aren't anyone of them is nearly that rich as the Monegasques.

In my neighbourhood there is a big camp site and the owner had built a hand-made pond with a few living swans in it. It didn't last for long as they were murdered.
    And there is a big farwarder that has its own petrol station. Some naughty guys tapped petrol.
    I can understand that those companies install, beause
    there is a real need.
    Murdered the swans? How awful @Hermine. In Cambridge the swans rule, okay? There are many in the public park and woe betide anyone who comes near as they can be quite aggressive. I once wondered what was pecking at my leg and when I looked down, it was a cheeky swan. But kill them? I hope they found the culprit and threw him in jail for murder.

Tapping petrol is something I have seen in Nepal when there were fuel shortages and the bus drivers had to steal petrol from lorries in order for us ti reach our destination!
    Hermine said:

Believe it or not, here some households installed cameras, although I'm sure there aren't anyone of them is nearly that rich as the Monegasques.

In my neighbourhood there is a big camp site and the owner had built a hand-made pond with a few living swans in it. It didn't last for long as they were murdered.
    And there is a big farwarder that has its own petrol station. Some naughty guys tapped petrol.
    I can understand that those companies install, beause
    there is a real need.

In the UK, killing swans is classed as treason, because all swans are apparently property of the queen!
    I'd forgotten this @GemmaRowlands. Maybe this is why they like to lord it!

I know in Cambridge there's a bit of a running battle with swans as there are so many on the River Cam, which is where students like to punt.
    mheredge said:

I'd forgotten this @GemmaRowlands. Maybe this is why they like to lord it!

I know in Cambridge there's a bit of a running battle with swans as there are so many on the River Cam, which is where students like to punt.

It's one of those really, really old laws. I don't think killing a swan would actually be viewed as any more seriously than any other animal - but technically speaking you could be beheaded for it!
    I think killing intentionally any animal like this is seen as a crime. Obviously accidents happen, but there is usually an outcry especially where cruelty is involved.
    mheredge said:

I think killing intentionally any animal like this is seen as a crime. Obviously accidents happen, but there is usually an outcry especially where cruelty is involved.

Yes it is definitely a crime, but if you kill an animal you could be imprisoned for between 3 months and 3 years, but if it's a swan, technically you could get life imprisonment or even the death penalty; even in the UK where this hasn't been used for many years.
    Hopefully not too many swans get killed if the penalty is as stiff as this.
    I was sad to see this story @GemmaRowlands. It shows how complex ecosystems are and that when humans interfere, things get out of balance.

It seem that crows have been cast in a new role: as "feral death squadrons, terrorising rural Britain like a Hitchcockian nightmare come to life."

Although fox hunting has always been more emotive, there are also many people going out to shoot large numbers of birds purely for their own gratification, with nothing to do with the food chain or conservation.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/14/a-of-crows-chris-packham-and-the-countryside-war-over-bird-killings?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA1MTU=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

I actually like crows a lot. They are very intelligent and are actually very good for cleaning the environment (like vultures), but they are not usually very popular for their sinister appearance. They are a noble feature of not only the English countryside, but pretty much all around the world.

"As for the crows – gorgeous scavengers that they are – perhaps we shouldn’t judge them so harshly. Crows have been shown to mourn their dead, to punish selfishness in their peers, to play and to hold grudges. Just like us. Ted Hughes again: “Crow realized God loved him / Otherwise, he would have dropped dead.”"
    I met an American here in Kiev yesterday who came originally for three days and has stayed two years. I can see why as my first impressions of the place are very good.
  • bfluentmanishbfluentmanish Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    Hello Everyone,
    If i want to live in country where humanity should be the religion and where no pollution exist only natural resources and green technology should be present.
    Where every person think about other person.
    I think Ukraine would be a good place to live as the people here seem very considerate and respectful towards each other. It's also very impressive how clean and well looked after the places I have been to appear, which indicates that something is right. I have been told corruption is a problem but I think these days it's everywhere.

Hello Everyone,

If i want to live in country where humanity should be the religion and where no pollution exist only natural resources and green technology should be present.

Where every person think about other person.

I think there are a lot of problems with religion because people feel that they need to do bad things in the name of religion, and it gives religion as a whole a bad name.
    I think it is a very small minority that unfortunately give religion a bad name @GemmaRowlands. Most people wherever they are and whatever their religion are not bad.
    mheredge said:

I think it is a very small minority that unfortunately give religion a bad name @GemmaRowlands. Most people wherever they are and whatever their religion are not bad.

Oh yes that's definitely the case, it's just unfortunate that these people are reported on the news to make it seem like a much bigger issue.
    I have to say, what I've seen of Ukraine makes me think that I could live here quite happily. However I have not experienced winter here which I believe can be very cold.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd live somewhere where the weather is constantly conducive to a comfortable living. Any idea where it might be?
    Nice is a very good choice @Vok, though I liked very much the climate in Medellin too. But Colombia would mean you'd have to learn Spanish. At least in Nice, this is maybe one of the few places in France where you can manage fine with English.