Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

Monday Night Owls - 22 October 2018 - What's next in commercial space travel?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read an article about what's going to happen next in commercial space travel:

https://theconversation.com/a-decade-of-commercial-space-travel-whats-next-103405

Vocabulary Top 10:

disruptive - to cause (something) to be unable to continue in the normal way : to interrupt the normal progress or activity of (something)

flagship - the best, largest, or most important one of a group of things (such as products, stores, etc.)

milestone - an important point in the progress or development of something; a very important event or advance

extraterrestrial - coming from or existing outside the planet Earth

stellar - of or relating to the stars; also very good

uptick - a small increase or rise

perspective - a way of thinking about and understanding something

inhospitable - having an environment where plants, animals, or people cannot live or grow easily

hurdle - obstacle; something that makes an achievement difficult

scholar - a person who has studied a subject for a long time and knows a lot about it : an intelligent and well-educated person who knows a particular subject very well

What do you think will happen over the next 10 years in space travel?
Who owns asteroids, planets and other materials found in space?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that any steps towards improvements in progress, technologies and research discoveries have to be welcomed and encouraged.

I have no exception to put forward, any science fields need to progress and develop, because our survival, as mankind, is always at risk.

Even more in this case, when all seemingly happen with private fundings of venture capitals.

Whenever listening to amazing feats dealing with space travels, I get favourably impressed and hold the people who have cooperated to this humanity success in great awe.

I wonder: ' wow, the enterprise must have needed years and years of detailed planning, cutting-edge research, simulations of extraterrestrial conditions for astronauts to undergo, continual gathering of informations, materials and fuel enhancement and refinement, etc. '

Then, inexorably, there comes the nerves testing long stage of the launches, inevitably marked with failures, losses of plenty of moneys at a time, endless frustration and push to throw anything away, throw in the towel, finally admit it was just a joke.

This is another reason I appreciate any space achievements, because I like people who stick to their beliefs, who think something has finally to work, because, otherwise, we should dismiss maths, physics and chemistry sciences as just theoretical stuff for teachers to dwell on, in long, soporific, yawns full classes.

Nevertheless, I can't keep from considering all the matter, to some extent at least, kind of a hidden, quite, silent, rather dissimulated escape.

Whenever Mars happened to home a luxury space resort, the Earth-Mars route being daily operated by a liner space shuffle, I'm afraid the only lucky travellers able to afford the space ticket will be the same actual terrestrial billionaires.

After all what else could the companies' bosses spend their stratospheric income in, if not starting from purchasing the stratosphere itself ?

I imagine the wealthy elite people getting on board the spacecraft, as they actually do on their yatches, and, after waving us ' good luck ' ( meaning ' I'm going to wash my hands of you all miserable humanity ' ), throwing their last plastic bottle into the oily, viscous sea water.

Well, maybe flying to Mars is far easier than to stand your ground, take responsability and buckle down to carry out the praiseworthier enterprise ever: fight the climate change or the plastic pollution, which equal to give a future to next generations here on the Earth.

not so exciting, rather plebeian problems after all, aren't they ?
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !