Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For last year's words belong to last year's language,
And next year's words await another voice.
TS Eliot
Old Year and New Year by Christina Rossetti

New Year met me somewhat sad:
Old Year left me tired,
Stripped of favourite things I had
Baulked of much desired:
Yet further on my road to-day
God willing, further on my way.
Happy New Year

Japan

2

Comments

  • Alanoud0mAlanoud0m Posts: 10 ✭✭
    Japan is the first country I'll visit when I finish my study. I'm in love with Japanese culture and I understand their language but unfortunately, I can't speak Japanese. If someone speaks with my using the Japanese language I can replay in English. I hope one day I will learn how to speak in Japanese.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    How is it you understand Japanese but can't speak it @Alanoud0m?
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    How is it you understand Japanese but can't speak it @Alanoud0m?

    I know of a couple of people who are like that, and it makes no sense to me either, as I think that if you know what words are, you should be able to say them!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    I think there's enough similarity between Japanese and Chinese to understand a bit @GemmaRowlands. I guess it's a bit like Nepali and Hindi, or Portuguese and Spanish.
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭
    @mheredge
    We use a lot of Chinese characters same as those used in China, so we can vaguely realize what is written when we read Chinese writing. Aside from that, the grammar and pronunciation are completely different, so we cannot understand what they speak at all.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod

    @mheredge
    We use a lot of Chinese characters same as those used in China, so we can vaguely realize what is written when we read Chinese writing. Aside from that, the grammar and pronunciation are completely different, so we cannot understand what they speak at all.

    That is very interesting to hear. I have always be in awe of people who can read languages like Chinese and Japanese, as obviously the words are written with completely different characters that I know.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    I met a young Nepali student who is studying in China. He said that Chinese wasn't very hard to learn, even the script. It took me three weeks to master Sanskrit, but I think it would take me much longer to be able to cope with Chinese script.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I met a young Nepali student who is studying in China. He said that Chinese wasn't very hard to learn, even the script. It took me three weeks to master Sanskrit, but I think it would take me much longer to be able to cope with Chinese script.

    Wow, three weeks is a very short space of time to master something like that. I think it would take me a great deal longer than it took him.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    I just put post-it notes all over the kitchen with the letters of the alphabet. It didn't take any way as long as I thought it would.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I just put post-it notes all over the kitchen with the letters of the alphabet. It didn't take any way as long as I thought it would.

    I suppose that would help quite a lot, and in fact that's how I used to learn things when I was studying for exams, so I know it does work.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    My friend who I had lunch with yesterday told me that he's taking his family to Japan next spring. He's very much looking forward to it. I told him how much I loved it. I really hope to go back.

    These seven words that are being suggested to make us calmer come from Japan.

    http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20190124-seven-words-that-can-help-us-to-be-a-little-calmer



    Mugon-no gyō: a specifically silent meditative practice that asks you to take a moment to reflect before doing – act, don’t react
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I had a strange dream about Japan last night. I was there, and it was stormy, and we had to hide from the storm.. but I was trapped in my car and couldn't get away. It was so strange, and I have never actually been to Japan, but it felt incredibly real to me.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    How strange @GemmaRowlands. I also dreamed about Japan a while ago and have no idea why it popped up in the dream.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Last night a Japanese girl was teaching us some Japanese calligraphy. It is not as hard as it looks, but you have to be careful not to be too rough with the pen so as not to make the strokes too thick. I was impressed by the number of people who if they hadn't visited, were about to go there. A French guy is going in September to watch the Rugby World Cup.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    Last night a Japanese girl was teaching us some Japanese calligraphy. It is not as hard as it looks, but you have to be careful not to be too rough with the pen so as not to make the strokes too thick. I was impressed by the number of people who if they hadn't visited, were about to go there. A French guy is going in September to watch the Rugby World Cup.

    I took a class in that art too once, and I managed to create some nice things, but nowhere near as nice as professionals can create.
  • walterwalter Posts: 693 ✭✭✭
    I very like and respect Japan culture. I like at them their diligent people and martial arts.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I have a Japanese friend who is a chef here in Nice @walter. Last night we spent a lot of time talking about food! I went to her restaurant for the first time last week and in about ten days a group of us will go there again to bid an American friend farewell, as she's travelling back home to the US the following day.

    I have a box of all the ingredients to make some sushi. I just have to pluck up courage to roll my sleeves up and get on with making it.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭
    I've made sushi myself once @mheredge . It's not that hard as it may seem but it's a bit time consuming and to buy already 'cooked' suchi isn't much more expensive. I was happy to make them once but I wouldn't like to repeat the experience. However, I suppose in your case it'll be much more fun as you can learn a thing or two from your Japanese friend.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    I made it once @Vok, but wasn't too impresses by my attempt (a friend's 7 year old son made a far better looking plate of sushi than I did, with only a little of his mum's help).
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    walter said:

    I very like and respect Japan culture. I like at them their diligent people and martial arts.

    I am always amazed when I see Japanese people practice martial arts, as they seem much more accomplished at them than anywhere else in the world.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    I am so useless at Tai Chi and Qigong. I marvel at how elegantly the teacher demonstrates the moves.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I am so useless at Tai Chi and Qigong. I marvel at how elegantly the teacher demonstrates the moves.

    I bet if you practiced for as many years as the teacher has, you would be able to do it exactly the same. But it would take a lot of dedication.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    The Japanese girl who was showing me last week how to do a couple of characters of calligraphy is giving a class on Saturday. I may well look into it!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    The Japanese girl who was showing me last week how to do a couple of characters of calligraphy is giving a class on Saturday. I may well look into it!

    That sounds like a nice class to go to. I sometimes like going to classes for something that I've never done before, just to see whether I like it or not.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    I double-booked myself for Saturday, which was a bit daft. So now I won't be able to make it. I am sure that there will be another chance.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I double-booked myself for Saturday, which was a bit daft. So now I won't be able to make it. I am sure that there will be another chance.

    That's a shame but yes I'm sure there will be another chance at some point, or even another similar class elsewhere that you could attend.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering whether I will take the plunge and try out my sushi rolling skills for lunch today.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I'm wondering whether I will take the plunge and try out my sushi rolling skills for lunch today.

    Did you try them? It sounds like they would be nice, and I always think that lunch time is the ideal time to try out a new recipe.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,381 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to find a day when I have loads of time to make them @GemmaRowlands. Today it was one thing after the other and I didn't even get to have lunch till after 2. Tomorrow is even worse.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I'm going to have to find a day when I have loads of time to make them @GemmaRowlands. Today it was one thing after the other and I didn't even get to have lunch till after 2. Tomorrow is even worse.

    Ah right okay. It's good to put aside some decent time to do it though, as I suppose you will want to make a good job of it!
Sign In or Register to comment.