Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

Monday Night Owls - 29 October 2018 - How to take a mental health day

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read an article about how to take a mental health day - a day off to take care of your mental health:

http://www.abc.net.au/life/how-to-take-mental-health-day/10007706

Vocabulary Top 10:

cornerstone - something of basic importance

resilience - the ability to become strong, healthy, or successful again after something bad happens

absenteeism - a tendency to be away from work or school without a good reason : the practice or habit of being absent from work or school

presenteeism - the practice of coming to work despite illness, injury, anxiety, etc., often resulting in reduced productivity

'chuck a sickie' - taking a day off from work with no good reason; when someone who is not really sick claims to be sick and does not go to work

stigma - a set of negative and often unfair beliefs that a society or group of people have about something

ailment - a sickness or illness

grumpy - easily annoyed or angered : having a bad temper or complaining often

disgruntled - unhappy and annoyed

exacerbate - to make a bad situation, a problem, etc. worse

Have you ever taken some time off work for this reason?
Do you think it should be easier for people to do this?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,256 mod
    I already feel guilty when I'm ill and not be able to work; not mentioning taking a mental health day.
    And I think still a lot of employees will feel the same.
    Indeed, as the article said, the stigma is still tangible in the society and especially at the workplace; and it won't change in short time.
    Also I wonder, if we really need a mental health day, would we really feel better after getting a haircut or buying some new dresses (by the way, are they talking about women here? :) ) ?
    Of course I won't deny that there is a lot of stress and pressure at workplaces and you, mentally, need to recharge from time to time.
    But we have our weekends and holidays, right?
    Of course, at weekends we have to do a lot of things too like go shopping or cleaning our houses, doing the laundry and ironing!
    ( those things could also relaxing, though :) )

And what about people who work for themselves?
    How can they take mental health days?

• ContetyContety Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    When enough is enough at work.

A boss is announcing a new work schedule:
    - On Mondays we all have a rest after a weekend, on Tuesdays, we all prepare for a workday, on Wednesdays we all work, on Thursdays we all take a rest after the workday, on Fridays we prepare for weekends...
    An angry voice from a crowd of employees:
    - Gosh! When will we put an end to this unfairness on Wednesdays?!
    Post edited by Contety on
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems this kind of work schedule could reflect the ones commonly spread in some public sectors, such as the civil services well protected by unions, @Contety.
    We have some examples of it in some parts of Italy too; beyond any doubts the best workplaces ever, apart from the hard work thinking on where to spend the next weekend... sigh.. :D
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think one mental health day could be really any beneficial to the average employee, unless it would stretch to a week-long one.

I suppose most workers can easily relax on their two-days weekend though, given they take care of switching off their phone and disconnecting from work-related socials and email.

Nevertheless, the workers who are allowed one-day weekend with just Sunday off work, can possibly accumulate so much stress and exhaustion, week after week, that, eventually, even one mental health day off work can do it.

I would rather one day every month, at least, which could be reasonable.

I suppose the amount of lost productivity, if plausibly measured, would be more than offset by the fresh mind and creativity potential of the backed restored employee.

Whenever I feel I need a mental health day, I usually don't tell my boss honestly that I need a break not to collapse under pressure, but try to do as if I have to deal with something unpleasant but urgent, so that absolutely they can't deny me a day off.

Bosses, I'm afraid, invariably lean towards considering you want to skip a working day because you're lazy.

It is even bitterly fun, sometimes, that in order not to get really sick out of accumulated stress, you have, in advance, to falsely pretend you are, calling in sick.

So, in my opinion, all the matter comes down to a kind of hypocrisy on the part of your employer too. They well know that the workplace they provide is never really a heaven on heart.

Be it, in turns, your colleagues' troubled connections, old furnitures, obsolete equipments, indoors microclimate factors, such as illumination, heating, air-conditioning, and last more anonymous but also biting, in the long run, discomforts.

All work together to impact your resilience, so that, despite your gritting teeth and trying to keep on, you finally give in not to go inexorably crazy.

Your immune system is first to fall hostage to the stress, so you had better not to overlook more frequent colds, for instance.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !