Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February

When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

what's about love ?

my love life is a long story... sometimes i even think that i have never been in love ... it started in first grade and ended in my last year in collage

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,096 mod
    I had a very interesting chat with my neighbour, a great-grandmother. She might agree with you @seyfrouini.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,689 mod
    I think you know when you're in love, so if you're not sure, you probably haven't. I hope that you fall in love one day!
  • MaxeagleMaxeagle Posts: 30 ✭✭
    I think love is a long term thing. You don't fall in love. You just feel a great attraction for somebody that can later become love if things work out well. I think we tend to conflate passion with love. These are my definitions :
    "Passion" is an immediate, somewhat superficial, powerful, short term thing. It attracts you toward somebody (or something) that can later become more serious and leads you to :
    "Love" that takes more time to appear, is deeper, unbreakable, long term thing.

An other way to put it is to imagine "love" and "passion" like a bond between 2 persons. Passion wears off. Love doesn't.
    I think you are right @Maxeagle. A lot of feel confuse passion with love. I remember a Buddhist teacher saying that many couples 'fall in lust' and that this is not at all the same thing as loving someone.
  • jhoy16jhoy16 Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Love is when you treat others as you want others to treat you.
    Love is being understanding and patient.
    jhoy16 said:

Love is when you treat others as you want others to treat you.

Love is being understanding and patient.

I agree with that a lot. You have to be understanding and patient even when you don't understand why your loved one is doing certain things.
    Everyone I know who's married tells me that it is quite hard and no one really can claim to have a perfect marriage.
    mheredge said:

Everyone I know who's married tells me that it is quite hard and no one really can claim to have a perfect marriage.

Yeah that's true. You do have to work on relationships if you want them to last, and I think that a lot of people give in too easily these days.