Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

Monday Night Owls - 5 November 2018 - Why pride is important

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read an article about why we shouldn't be modest all the time:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181004-why-pride-evolved-and-its-benefits-versus-modesty

Vocabulary Top 9:

haughty - having or showing the insulting attitude of people who think that they are better, smarter, or more important than other people

condescending - showing that you believe you are more intelligent or better than other people

stance - a way of standing

yardstick - a rule or specific idea about what is acceptable or desirable that is used to judge or measure something

resentment - a feeling of anger or displeasure about someone or something unfair

hubristic - excessively proud or self-confident

conceitedness - having or showing too much pride in your own worth or goodness, especially physical; vain

hard-wired - having permanent connections; human nature

narcissism - loving and admiring yourself and especially your appearance too much

Before reading the article, did you think pride is a positive or negative emotion?
What is something that you are very proud of?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if my anticipated pride in accomplishing my goals would really match the value a majority within my social community place into such goals.

Maybe it is because I don't think to belong that much to my surroundings' community.

Their goals simply don't correspond to mine.

I mean, if you belong to a society whose main values you don't share, how can you refer to them in order to choose your goals and grow well off and successfull ?

For example, in my country many people think it a value, to gain success whatever either the costs or the means, even when it is reached by dishonesty and all the tricks in the book, quite to the detriment, needless to say, of the few naive dreamers who stick to playing by the rules.

Maybe you did it by bribing public officials.

Perhaps you were able to surpass other better candidates to the job, because you could put forward a recommendations by influential people such as powerful politicians.

Since the greedy success is the only yardstick against which to measure your right to be proud, would I be expected to reach it whatever the means, only to stand in front of a mirror and look at a pirate, a bandit ?

I don't think it works this way, unless we are speaking here of a fake pride, one good to be displayed among your shameless peers, unscrupulous participants in the rat-race and rat-runs to easy ruthless success in life.

Maybe it was true in the small past communities, that your pride deserving goals were shared, regarded and respected as well by all other members.

Since your accomplishments were likely to turn out beneficial to all other people, in fact, in this sense your pride was justified and exactly matched theirs, and it held an evolutionary value too.

Nowadays, modern societies' selfish individualism has broken in to disrupt collective therefore evolutionary push towards pride worth qualities and accomplishments.

I think only restricted communities of willing people, in any fields, can resume a genuine sense of pride over shared values, away from vain narcissism of stubborn winners.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !