Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
Learn English in November

AM/PM Session - 6 November 2018 - The last chance to see the Titanic?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,255 Teacher
We read an article about what may be the last opportunity to see the Titanic:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181001-is-this-the-last-chance-to-see-the-titanic

Vocabulary Top 10:

maiden voyage - the trip coming before all others : first or earliest trip

oozes - to flow out slowly

waning - to become smaller or less : to decrease in size, amount, length, or quality

submersible - a small vehicle that can operate underwater and that is used especially for research

time frame - a period of time that is used or planned for a particular action or project

crammed - to fill (something) so that there is no room for anything else : to fill (something) completely

rendezvous - a meeting with someone that is arranged for a particular time and place and that is often secret

repertoire - all the things that a person is able to do

lose your cool - to move from a very calm state to suddenly becoming very angry or panicked

crushed - to feel very unhappy, upset, or disappointed

Would you like to see the Titanic in person?
Do you think people should be able to see it, or it should be off limits?

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is interesting that some people thought it would be possible to bring back the intact wreckage of the Titanic to the surface, once its resting place was finally located.

Also someone thought it would be possible to recover some corpses; in fact they believed that the very cold water temperature, combined with high pressure and lack of light, all would have made possible for the human remains to be preserved.

The organic decay, according to such ideas, would be stopped, because no organisms would make it under such extreme conditions.

Unfortunately, both hopes had to be frustrated.

I read that the steamer split into two parts at an early stage during the sinking: the stern tilted upwards, up above the surface.

This part of the hull included the heavy machinery of the engine room, therefore it tended to break on its own;

however it also helped the fact that the central part of the boat was kept rather hollow to make room for a large majestic staircase, this way opposing less resistance to the gravity of the stern.

As a consequence the hull broke in two.

I read that the two parts were found a mile or so apart on the sea-bottom.

In the sixties of the last century, people started to try to come up with possible stategies to get the wreckage back floating, giving for granted the hull was intact, as said.
    Some strategies were quite bizarre.

Some folks thought you could fill the hull with Ping-Pong balls, not taking into account the fact the balls would collapse under the high pressure, not being immune to it as anything else.

Others thought you could just tie some huge bags filled with helium or gasoline to the wreckage, and, it would slowly bob up to the surface.

Reality proved much more frustrating.

A few years after discovery, in 1985, Titanic's remains were also looted, with the excuse of research and preservation of artefacts.

The agreement's terms wanted them to be handed back to the casualties' families and descendants, but it is dubious it happened in all cases.

I think the site where the Titanic rests, should be considered a universal historical heritage, to be preserved by all countries.

It should be considered a museum to be benefited by people, remotely, by means of the pictures and movies shot by the few audacious researchers who made it to it.

Let's think of the abyss' site just as a graveyard to be left in peace and unviolated, except for the rust feeding silent bacteria, which just decore the tomb, although in their peculiar way.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !