Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What did you must have enjoyed more in your childhood?

Let´s imagine! If you could to call to yourself when you were a child... What would you say? What would you advise? What the moment you would like to store into a safe box. <3

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,531 mod
    I used to love going blackberry picking when I was a child. I have a lot of happy memories of going down to some fields not far from my home and bringing back enough that my mother could make jam @VictorJosé .
  • VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Good memories @mheredge! I guess that blackberry jam must be delicious! I have three daughters that love eating blackberry. In the summer we used to go eating blackberry straight in the tree near my house here in Brazil. We have an orchard with a lot of other fruit trees in the condominium where we living in.
    I think it tasted all the better because we'd picked the fruit ourselves @VictorJosé . As an adult, I progressed to picking sloes and made some sloe gin. There was the same sense of satisfaction when I had my gin and tonic!
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    I would say to myself exactly the same thing as my parents used to say.
    "Study, study, study!"
    I think studying is taken a lot more seriously in Asia than in some other countries @Yellowtail. My experience teaching Asian students, I have found most are much more diligent and not even if the parents are not always pushing them very hard.

I would counter this by advising a balance as I believe children also need to spend time playing. By this though, I don't mean on computer games but going outside and having adventures. Even if this is only blackberry picking!
  • VictorJoséVictorJosé Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Good comment @mheredge! The children should have a balance between study and spend time playing.
    Certainly I can't say that I particular enjoyed studying all that much, but I always did my homework and quite liked school. I did like playing outside, building dens in the woods and climbing trees. Even playing football sometimes with the boys, who always made me play goalkeeper @VictorJosé.
    edited November 2018
    @mheredge
    It sounds a good advise. But can you make it clear for me why playing is so important? For physical and social development?
    I think playing teaches a lot @Yellowtail, from communication skills when playing with other children, to imagination and creativity, and practical skills (making dens in the bushes).
    Thank you @mheredge . I think you're right, especially in the imagination and creativity part. Every child is a little genius, because they believe nothing is impossible.
    I used to like Dr Who and Startrek when I was a kid, so we used to take on roles and make up our own stories. So the toilet was the Tardis (taking off when we pulled the chain), and the slide in the garden was the Star Ship Enterprise. Needless to say as I was the eldest, I was Dr Who and my sister was the assistant.
  • slhvtndsslhvtnds Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Being child is like "living by tasting in maximum range". Everything can make you happy. I would say to my childhood "enjoy your colorful life"

And I would like to store "all the memories with sun". Because when I remember a well memory in my childhood, I recognize that mostly it includes the sun (sunshine) interestingly.
  • shivishivi Posts: 2
    When I was a kid I enjoyed a lot during my summer vacation, I used to go to my village with my mom, dad and siblings, there was lot of kids and my cousin to play, greenery we all did mischievous things and the best part was river near to my village's house, we spent several hours there, no worries, no school, mom dad had no time to yell upon us...only fun.
    @shiva this sounds fun. Though I lived in a suburb outside London, we still had fields and a river to play in. We used to go fishing for minnows (little fish) and pick blackberries from the bushes growing wild there.
  • jhoy16jhoy16 Posts: 43 ✭✭
    Jumping in the river from a branch of a tree wearing my favorite pink swimsuit.
    Smiling while reminiscing those happy childhood memories.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    I enjoyed playing outside with my friends, and I think that's something that people these days don't do as much, as they spend a lot of time inside on games consoles.
    I used to love climbing trees, though I usually got stuck coming down.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    mheredge said:

I used to love climbing trees, though I usually got stuck coming down.

Oh I scared myself many times doing that. It is similar to when cats get stuck up trees I think!
    Climbing up always seemed so much easier. Coming down was always the problem. I know how cats feel when they get stuck.