Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 12 November 2018 - Can you get a pay rise by moving abroad?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,081 Teacher
We read an article talking about whether people usually increase their wages when they move to another country, and the other factors that are involved:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20181011-can-you-get-a-21k-pay-rise-by-moving-abroad

Vocabulary Top 7:

the property ladder - a series of ascending stages by which people are perceived to progress as they are able to buy more expensive houses, the initial stage consisting of buying one’s first property

underpinned - to strengthen or support (something) from below

fritter away - to spend or use up (something) in a slow and usually foolish way

stint - a period of time spent doing a certain job or activity

overseas - in or to a foreign country, especially one that is across a sea or ocean

cheap and cheerful - simple and inexpensive

windfall - an unexpected amount of money that you get as a gift, prize, etc.

Do you think it's worth moving to another country for a pay rise?
Do you think most people who move to another country earn more?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,978 mod
    edited November 2018
    Moving to another country is worth trying, for people with adventure spirit; even if you don't have any pay rise.
    And if you can get some windfall, that's always welcome.
    Staying in different countries without playing tourist, for quite a long period of time so you have time to know the people and their culture, the language ... that's quite an experience!
    If I were still young, I wouldn't think twice if I would have that kind of opportunity.

I don't think I will be able to attend the Wednesday's session, but actually, I'm very curious about your overseas' stint, @NatashaT . :D

Do I think most people who move to another country earn more?
    I don't think so.
    I'm talking here about for example, seasonal workers or volunteer workers or people with missionary work.

Post edited by april on
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,081 Teacher
    I'll try to record the session @april , and if I don't talk about my experiences, I'll write a message here instead ;)
  • BassaBassa Posts: 105 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT , basically I don’t think all people decide to leave their countries to increase their wages effectively rise the goal at the end.
    Sometimes may be true but usually a person who makes money in another country is the one that exports an incredible knowledge and is called specifically to do a particular job...in the most part of cases I’d like to see the migration as the way to live a different experience ... to starting from Zero...once again ! So maybe the reason of “more money” is like the mask that hides the truth which is that a lot of people live of challenges and is stimulated by them ....and the idea of build a new life in a country they don’t know is one of the most exciting.