Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 12 November 2018 - Can you get a pay rise by moving abroad?

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
We read an article talking about whether people usually increase their wages when they move to another country, and the other factors that are involved:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20181011-can-you-get-a-21k-pay-rise-by-moving-abroad

Vocabulary Top 7:

the property ladder - a series of ascending stages by which people are perceived to progress as they are able to buy more expensive houses, the initial stage consisting of buying one’s first property

underpinned - to strengthen or support (something) from below

fritter away - to spend or use up (something) in a slow and usually foolish way

stint - a period of time spent doing a certain job or activity

overseas - in or to a foreign country, especially one that is across a sea or ocean

cheap and cheerful - simple and inexpensive

windfall - an unexpected amount of money that you get as a gift, prize, etc.

Do you think it's worth moving to another country for a pay rise?
Do you think most people who move to another country earn more?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,821 mod
    edited November 2018
    Moving to another country is worth trying, for people with adventure spirit; even if you don't have any pay rise.
    And if you can get some windfall, that's always welcome.
    Staying in different countries without playing tourist, for quite a long period of time so you have time to know the people and their culture, the language ... that's quite an experience!
    If I were still young, I wouldn't think twice if I would have that kind of opportunity.

I don't think I will be able to attend the Wednesday's session, but actually, I'm very curious about your overseas' stint, @NatashaT . :D

Do I think most people who move to another country earn more?
    I don't think so.
    I'm talking here about for example, seasonal workers or volunteer workers or people with missionary work.

Post edited by april on
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
    I'll try to record the session @april , and if I don't talk about my experiences, I'll write a message here instead ;)
  • BassaBassa Posts: 103 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT , basically I don’t think all people decide to leave their countries to increase their wages effectively rise the goal at the end.
    Sometimes may be true but usually a person who makes money in another country is the one that exports an incredible knowledge and is called specifically to do a particular job...in the most part of cases I’d like to see the migration as the way to live a different experience ... to starting from Zero...once again ! So maybe the reason of “more money” is like the mask that hides the truth which is that a lot of people live of challenges and is stimulated by them ....and the idea of build a new life in a country they don’t know is one of the most exciting.