Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

AM/PM Session - 13 November 2018 - Long games of tag

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,132 Teacher
We read two articles talking about friends who have played long games of tag together:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2270444/23-year-long-game-tag-Friends-flew-world-avoid-it.html
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/20/played-tag-23-years-experience

Vocabulary Top 10:

tag - a children's game in which one player is called “it” and chases the other players to try to touch one of them and make that player “it”

foster - to help (something) grow or develop

buddies - close friends — used especially to describe men or boys who are friends

high jinks - wild or playful behavior

dubious - used ironically in phrases like 'dubious honor' and 'dubious distinction' to describe something bad or undesirable as if it were an honor or achievement

outwit - to defeat or trick (someone) by being more intelligent or clever

prank - a trick that is done to someone usually as a joke

trunk - the enclosed space in the back of a car for carrying things (also 'boot' in British English)

prospect - the possibility that something will happen in the future

edgy - nervous and tense

Did you play tag with your friends when you were a child? What other games like this did you play?
Would you still play tag with your friends now?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,072 mod
    After having dug deeply in my childhood memory, I remember again this game.
    We call it: game of cat, though.
    The same rule but another name.
    Another playground games I played are for example Hide and seek, Skipping rope, Hopskotch, Seesaw, Mancala and Marbles.
    I had to search all these games on the web and it's weird to find out that they say those games are games from the ancient times.
    I'm sure children still play aome of these games, but it's true that many children play more with their gadget nowadays.
    What a shame. Hats off for these group of "young men" who make this game maybe popular again. :)

Would I play tag with my friends again?
    Why not? I'll suggest it to them in our next reunion, but I don't think I'd get a good response. ;)
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @april wrote:

' ... What a shame. Hats off for these group of "young men" who make this game maybe popular again. :) ... '

Totally agree. I suppose our days children would be more than enthusiastic to play playground games with their playmates though.

However there are some logistic issues that actually prevent them from do it anymore.

It seems that, nowadays, children game activity has to be limited to the digital one.

Interaction and sociality is mediated by your Internet provider.

Outdoors games have grown irreversibly outdated, or is it just my impression ?

I think it has also to do with priority parents give to their children daily schedule.

Perhaps they believe that engaging their children in a sport activity can make up for all their needs to develop tighter relationships, encourage and shape their authentic sense of loyalty, fairness and solidarity.

Unfortunately, I believe that in many sports, even when played as a social activity by children, the fair play is just a mirage.

Competitiveness, push to outstrip your rivals, whatever the means, deception, are just the awarding skills you're required to be gifted with.

Mandatory is not to partake, mandatory is just to win; even if an adult sense of sport rivalry shouldn't be part of children's world.

Outdoors group games, on the other part, are essential to the children's world shaping.

They can possibly create their own pure, uncontaminated from prejudice, envies, world of utopia.

What other hope do we adults have, if not to let our children play outdoors together, and just cross fingers while letting them forge a new peaceful worthliving world ?

As for the adults who kept playing tag with one another, well beyond having hit their forties, I think it was the best way at their disposal to get along great with their lives.

I suppose it could be an excellent general way to improve your creativity and vision as well.

I read of one famous and well-off person, who once rented an entire castle in UK, and spent all night playing hide-and-seek with his numerous guests.

They played a different version of the game, however, where just one person was hiding away and all the other people kept looking for him: it turned out exciting and bizarre, at the same time.

Just as the person in question, Elon Musk.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !