Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

When do you plan to retire?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 9,740 mod
Many people look forward to finishing work, and lots of us will be looking forward to retirement - but when do you think that will be for you?

I think I will be nearing 70 when I can retire, as things aren't great in my country at the moment. What about you? When do you think you will be able to retire?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,146 ✭✭✭✭
    My ambition was to retire at 40. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'retire' but I only missed my target by a few years if you count when I managed to leave regular employment and a job I didn't like.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,740 mod
    mheredge said:

My ambition was to retire at 40. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'retire' but I only missed my target by a few years if you count when I managed to leave regular employment and a job I didn't like.

I mean leave full time work, and maybe just work because you want to rather than because you need to.. I don't know when it will happen for me. I need to save up a lot of money before I even think about it!
    I think it is a good idea to have some sort of 'work' forever as I can't imagine being totally idle.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,740 mod
    mheredge said:

I think it is a good idea to have some sort of 'work' forever as I can't imagine being totally idle.

Yeah, I will definitely still be doing things, but probably hobbies rather than working. So long as you're doing something I don't think it matters what it is.
    Hobbies are find as long as you can keep up the self discipline. Usually work implies some interaction with others, even if this is remotely. It is more difficult to get lazy then.