Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Difficulties In Speaking English And How To Solve Them

shruti121shruti121 Posts: 1
edited November 2018 in Let's Practise and Learn
The general cause that makes the task of speaking English difficult for English learners is the environment around them. Especially in India, the environment around does not support the learners to speak English frequently. The environment here is no one else but the people around. Few people make fun of you when you try to speak in English, few might judge you on your mistakes while others will think that you are just trying to show off when you use English in your daily conversation. Right?
However, this is not the only issue. There are a few other difficulties which resist you from speaking a fluent and decent English, which include:
1. Fear of committing mistakes:
This is the biggest and foremost issue which keep many English learners away from speaking English confidently even if they already know basic English. They think that if they commit any mistake, others will laugh at them or insult them. This keeps them away from practicing spoken English and they end up with all the hopes.
However, this is not desirable. It is merely normal for a non-native speaker of English to commit mistakes while learning English because English is not his mother tongue. Therefore, just speak out without any fear of making mistakes.
2. No words to express your insights:
Due to a lack of a decent vocabulary, at times it might happen that you do not get words to express yourself.
You should learn new words daily, a command of words can benefit your life in many ways. When you have command on large vocabulary words, you can express yourself easily.
3. Lack of practice:
Moreover, the major difficulty is due to the lack of practice of spoken English. To speak fluent English, you need to practice English on a daily basis. If you don’t find people around you to converse in English with, you can prefer some English practice app like EngVarta where you can practice English with experts over the phone itself.
A daily practice can make you used to the language and gradually you’ll get fluent in the language and start speaking naturally.
Post edited by shruti121 on

Comments

• slhvtndsslhvtnds Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I totally agree with first and third points.

I also want to add a point to encourage learners (me as well);

An avarage person uses (in his mother tongue) approximately 300 different word in a day. This statitistics tells us that a person (who learn a new language) can declare himself with few words.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,503 mod
    I have been listening to my Nepalese friends speaking Nepali, but I'm ashamed to admit that I understand less than I used to, due to lack of practice.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    Actually, I have the same problems in my community as well. So, I decided to speak with myself, or in front of the mirror, and recorded to myself sometimes.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    You should never be scared of making a mistake. Even native English speakers can make mistakes sometimes, and we have been learning the language since we were born. Everyone makes mistakes.
    Some Nepalese women said that they felt the English words git stuck at the top of their throat and that though they understood, the words wouldn't come out. After a couple of hours with them though, I managed to coax a few words to escape. They were very happy and hopefully with more practice, they shouldn't have too much problem communicating in English.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    mheredge said:

Some Nepalese women said that they felt the English words git stuck at the top of their throat and that though they understood, the words wouldn't come out. After a couple of hours with them though, I managed to coax a few words to escape. They were very happy and hopefully with more practice, they shouldn't have too much problem communicating in English.

I think a lot of people are just nervous, and it can be difficult because you have to get used to different sounds, but practice makes perfect :).
    I thought the idea of the words trying to get out, but getting stuck in the throat was a good one. I've felt exactly the same when trying to speak Nepali. I'm not sure if it's just nerves or forgetting exactly what to say.
  • luridlurid Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I have the same idea that pronunciation problem is so critical for non native English speakers, especially for some countries. That is because our body parts responsible for pronouncing has developed in harmony with our mother language sounds. So it is natural to not be able to pronounce like a native even after a life time involvement with English language, no matter how intensily you involved. You cannot change your physiology after some age. The point here must be, in my opinion, trying to pronounce more understandably, not to procounce like native.
  • luridlurid Posts: 14 ✭✭
    I think, the most important think of speaking English is being able to make sentences without thinking of grammer, and fluently. And, as much as I have learned, this can only be accomplished by thinking like a native. We have to let out our own sentence perspectives and try to look out into the world like an English. This was very hard for me in the beginning, and I was seemed like a child. But I have become much more capable now. It is like rewiring your language area of your brain without any connection with your native language speaking area.