Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 26 November 2018 - The tiny, self-declared Republic of Užupis

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,012 Teacher
We read an article about the tiny, self-declared Republic of Užupis, located in the capital of Lithuania:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20181014-uupis-a-tiny-republic-of-free-spirits

Vocabulary Top 10:

tongue in cheek - in a way that is not serious and that is meant to be funny

boast - to have something that is impressive

plinth - a block of stone or wood that is used as the base for a pillar, statue, etc.

juxtaposition - to place (different things) together in order to create an interesting effect or to show how they are the same or different

eclectic - including things taken from many different sources

Soviet bloc - the largely Communist countries of the eastern world, usually those in Eastern Europe and Asia aligned with the USSR in the Cold War era

endeavor - a serious effort or attempt

derelict - no longer cared for or used by anyone, neglected

decimated - to destroy a large number of (plants, animals, people, etc.)

encapsulate - to show or express the main idea or quality of (something) in a brief way

What do you think about Užupis?
Do you know of any other places in the world like this?
What would you include in the constitution if you created your own country?

Comments

• NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,012 Teacher
    Here is another article talking about some other micronations: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/micronations/index.html
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reading the article, I decided to set off straightaway, fly to Vilnius, cross the bridge, winking with complicity at the bronze mermaid, have a pint with the prime minister, finally take my hot bath.

Then, I decided to begin relaxing and chilling away by strolling along the Constitution's avenue while taking a look at the hanging plates, focusing on the listed clauses.

Since I brought my pet cat, I concentrated on those dealing with pets.... here I am.. cats.

' ... a cat is not obliged to love its owner... ( so far, can't but agree.. it's a cat after all, therefore a maneating little tiger, isn't it ? )... BUT MUST HELP IN TIMES OF NEED... ?!? '

What does this obscure final part mean ?

Um... gasp.. gosh ..oh my god... does it mean it can serve... always in a relaxing way, obviously... to arrange a meal for the independent, informal, protocol-less community's cerimonial banquet ? '

Let me claim for a bit of a protocol back then, I'll add a further clause here:

' CATS ARE NOT FOOD, REGARDLESS THEY LOVE THEIR OWNERS '.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !