Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What is your sleeping pattern like?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 9,119 mod
I think we all have different sleep patterns, but mine is quite average. I go to bed at 11pm and wake up at 7am, so I get 8 hours of sleep.

However, I know that this will change depending on your job and personal preferences.

So, what are your sleeping patterns like?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,359 mod
    My tends to be irregular especially when I'm travelling. The past few days I've been getting up at around 5.30-6am and will have to do this again tomorrow morning to catch a bus at 7. However I hope to be able to sleep in a little later the day after.
    It is said that too much sleep is not good for you. The recommended amount of sleep for adults is six to eight hours a night. Sleeping more than those hours is associated with an increased risk of death and cardiovascular diseases, says a global study in the European Heart Journal.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/04/health/sleep-duration-linked-to-death-and-diseases-study-intl/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNNi&utm_content=2018-12-27T03:33:11&utm_medium=social
  • YellowtailYellowtail Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭
    Mine had been exactly same as you, @GemmaRowlands 11pm to 7am. But it becomes irregular these days, often staying up late. So tonight, it's almost 2am right now.
    I went to bed at 8pm last night but was rudely awoken by my friend's continous load snoring. After that I didn't sleep well. When I woke up this morning, I misread the time and thought I'd overslept and it was 8am, but after I got up, I saw it wasn't even 7am. Tonight I'm happy to have a room to myself.
    I'm a party pooper when it comes to seeing in the new year and was asleep by 10pm. Most Nepalese people outside Kathmandu don't bother celebrating (most have their own new years at different times), but Kathmandu was in a party mood last night and lots of people were out and about.
  • jhoy16jhoy16 Posts: 43 ✭✭
    I usually get to sleep at around 10 p.m. When i tried to sleep earlier than that, my eyes seem not cooperating.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,119 mod
    Over the past few weeks my sleeping pattern has been awful. I've been staying up until 4am and then getting up at lunchtime. I need to try and get out of the habit as soon as possible!
    These past few weeks I have been going to bed very early as in the village, most people are asleep by 8 or 9pm. As it's cold early in the morning, no one gets up that early either. I am often sleeping 9- 11 hours which is way more than usual.
    mheredge said:

These past few weeks I have been going to bed very early as in the village, most people are asleep by 8 or 9pm. As it's cold early in the morning, no one gets up that early either. I am often sleeping 9- 11 hours which is way more than usual.

That sounds like a lot of sleep, but so long as it fits in with your schedule then I suppose there is nothing wrong with having that sleep pattern for a while.
    I'm sure I couldn't do this in the city or at home @GemmaRowlands but in the countryside, there's really nothing much to do and as there's no heating, bed is as good a place to go. I like reading before I go to sleep but in some places if the light isn't good enough,even this isn't always possible.
    mheredge said:

I'm sure I couldn't do this in the city or at home @GemmaRowlands but in the countryside, there's really nothing much to do and as there's no heating, bed is as good a place to go. I like reading before I go to sleep but in some places if the light isn't good enough,even this isn't always possible.

I always carry a little torch with me so that I am able to read wherever I go, plus if there's somewhere with power I always have the light on my phone, too.
    This is where Kindles come into their own @GemmaRowlands. I need good light when I'm reading a paper book and torchlight wouldn't be enough.