Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
Learn English in July

Where is the strangest place you have slept?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 10,331 mod
There are lots of times when we might not be at home, when we have to sleep in other places rather than our bed.

For me, I haven't really slept anywhere strange, other than on public transport.

But what about you? Where is the strangest place that you have fallen asleep in the past?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 44,423 ✭✭✭✭
    I have slept in airports and railway stations, usually on the way to places. I don't know what counts as unusual. I have spent the night in a big converted windmill on the Norfolk coast, and a monastery and a nunnery in Nepal.
    edited December 2018
    I've slept in a Mongolian ger (like a yurt).
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭✭
    I slept in a cinema in Frankfurt on a back home flight. We were so tired and thought it would be a good idea to sleep in one of those chairs.

I slept in one of those plastic chairs in an airport.

I slept on matresses when we moved in our home and the furniture wasn't delievered.
    I have slept on a straw mat in a few places, usually village houses in places like Nepal or Thailand @Hermine.

What do mean by 'I slept in a cinema in Frankfurt on a back home flight'?

I have slept on the floor in airports, and a couple of times on the floor of station waiting rooms in India. One time I fell asleep alone but when I woke up I was surrounded by a dozen nuns from Rajasthan. I once was sleeping on the floor at a friend's house and when I woke up found a cat sleeping on my head!
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭✭
    I was coming home from a trip to the USA and we thought it'll be a good idea to buy a cinema ticket where we could have enough chairs for a nap.

Gives that more sense? @mheredge

When I was a child we wanted o sleep in our shed. Don't ask me now what we had slept on.
    I just can remember it was raining and rain drops were falling on something hard and it made a strange noise so we gave up and ended finally up in our cosy beds. The moon shone brightly through the wooden wall.
    I remember sleeping outside in a little old tent that my father had when he had visited the Alps with his brother, before he got married. It was a great adventure, even if it was only in our back garden @Hermine.
  • sammanisammani Posts: 470 ✭✭✭
    well for me, I usually sleep at the lecture halls. That is where my favourite place to have slept. :'(
    Hahaha! So not the most attentive of students @sammani. I think I have only ever once nodded off during a meeting. But it was for I.T. equipment at some trade fair (I'm not an I.T. person), and the room was very stuffy and warm.
  • FrankFrank Moderator Posts: 6,634 mod
    edited July 12
    Once I went for a holiday in France with my cousin. We had decided to travel late in the evening because of the traffic. However it became very misty and soon we couldn't see much. We decided to park the car on a side path in a French village to take a nap. We soon found a gravel path and we turned the car onto it. Then, several times in the night we heard church bells. That (literally) didn't ring a bel. When we woke up it turned out that we had parked our car on a graveyard on a path between the stones of the cemetery. Luckily we hadn't been woken up by zombies or ghosts.
    I've quite often slept in airports and railways stations. I once spent the night in the waiting room at Siliguri station, being awaoken by a tannoy that very loudly kept repeating that no trains were running. The following night was more comfortable, in a train's sleeping berth. Howver the train arrived at Delhi at midnight so it was back to sleeping on the hard floor of the Ladies Waiting Room. When I went to sleep I was alone, but when I awoke at about 4am, I was surrounded by the group of nuns from Rajasthan (and no, I wasn't dreaming!)