Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Amazon (company) pros and cons

2»

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭
    I often use the second hand book option on Amazon. Sometimes the postage costs as much as the book, though it is usually still cheaper than buying the book new. And so far the books I have ordered are as good as new.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Hermine said:

@GemmaRowlands, that is a great solution for used books. Lots of people declutter their books shelves and get them directly in a skip for paper - what a shame.
    What happens to books by very well educated people when they die - they stored very expensive books and got signatured by the authors.

I also play with the iea of getting rid of several books.

Yes I think it is a great shame when books get thrown away, as people can buy them and be able to make the most of them.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭
    The little blue car is nice, but I doubt it could load parcels. What is it thought for? @mheredge
    I think it might be able to contain a few books @Hermine. I am not sure how it works though. It would be useless for some people like my mother, who is deaf and lives in a second floor flat. I hope the postman has delivered my latest Amazon order to her, in person!
    Hermine said:

The little blue car is nice, but I doubt it could load parcels. What is it thought for? @mheredge

You would only be able to use it for smaller items, but I do think that delivery systems such as these are very much going to be the future of distribution.
    I doubt there are many places where the pavements or roads would be smooth enough for the little wheels.
    mheredge said:

I doubt there are many places where the pavements or roads would be smooth enough for the little wheels.

That's true. I have also seen posts about things being sent via drone, which would take away that issue at least to a certain extent.
    What worries me is that the more automation like this that there is, the fewer jobs there are.
    Petrol stations, Metro, Ikea and lots of more gradually transfer their work over to the customer without price reduction. Isn't that strange?
    mheredge said:

What worries me is that the more automation like this that there is, the fewer jobs there are.

Yes that is true, but that's the way things have gone for the whole of time.. there are lots of jobs that were needed a few centuries ago that aren't anymore, but with changing times more jobs are introduced, too!
    I wandered into a W H Smiths this morning. Big mistake! They had a huge display of cookery books by the door. @Hermine, I picked up Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals and Rick Stein's Mexico recipe book. Real bargains at about £6 and £7 each. My problem now however, is that I have to carry them!!

and

mheredge said:

I wandered into a W H Smiths this morning. Big mistake! They had a huge display of cookery books by the door. @Hermine, I picked up Jamie Oliver's 15 Minute Meals and Rick Stein's Mexico recipe book. Real bargains at about £6 and £7 each. My problem now however, is that I have to carry them!!

and

Oh, I love recipe books. We are in the middle of having a new kitchen fitted at the moment, and I think I need to treat myself to some new recipe books when it is done.
    Have a look at WHSmith @GemmaRowlands as I doubt they were selling half price recipe books only in Loughton, Essex!
    mheredge said:

Have a look at WHSmith @GemmaRowlands as I doubt they were selling half price recipe books only in Loughton, Essex!

You'd be lucky to find a WH Smith round here these days, as they closed all of the Northern branches about 10 years ago! :(.
    That's a shame @GemmaRowlands. Even in railway stations? They seem to be around at stations in London still. I was surprised by this one as it's relatively new in the high street. There's also a bookshop not far that's been there for donkey's years and was where I always used to go when I was a young child.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5
    mheredge said:

That's a shame @GemmaRowlands. Even in railway stations? They seem to be around at stations in London still. I was surprised by this one as it's relatively new in the high street. There's also a bookshop not far that's been there for donkey's years and was where I always used to go when I was a young child.

But who needs recipe books now, when we have Youtube videos? One can find an instructional video for every possible household task, and being a video, it's easier to understand.
    This is true, but have you ever tried cooking and juggling with your laptop at the same time, without getting food smeared on it @Practical_Severard? Maybe with a large enough kitchen, but invariably if I'm using a recipe from the internet, I end up writing it down so I have the recipe to work from in front of me as I cook.
    edited February 5
    mheredge said:

This is true, but have you ever tried cooking and juggling with your laptop at the same time, without getting food smeared on it @Practical_Severard? Maybe with a large enough kitchen, but invariably if I'm using a recipe from the internet, I end up writing it down so I have the recipe to work from in front of me as I cook.

Well, I think a tablet and a holder might help. I heard even priests use them now instead of books. Though, I guess, an experienced cook would prefer a recipe as a text. But if you need an instruction how to knead dough, a video is your choice.
    I do watch the videos but I don't usually remember exactly how much I need to add, which is when the written recipe for me at least, it useful @Practical_Severard.
    mheredge said:

I do watch the videos but I don't usually remember exactly how much I need to add, which is when the written recipe for me at least, it useful @Practical_Severard.

Yes, the ingredients part is better as a table.
    I had to laugh @Hermine, my friend nearly ran over a robot delivery thing this morning!
    Really, that will be our future.
    edited February 6
    @mherdge, poor you, did you bring the books home undamaged you bought at WH Smith. I know Oliver's books are pretty heavy. I like him and he is an alrounder regarding cooking.

Yesterday I made puff pastry - fist time in my life - and I can tell you they were delicious. I made little pastries and filled it up with cutted mushrooms, onions and bacon.

Note: Only mad housewives do this job.
    Well done @Hermine. I am a bit scared to try making puff pastry and cheat, buying the pre made stuff at the supermarket.

Yes Jamie's book is heavy. I had to level the others at my mother's for my next visit.
    Everyone buys the pre made ones, they can be used immediately and are cheap.
    But the ones I made rose higher and that made me pleased.

You must know I like the french cuisine. I own a book by Julia Child and like watching french cooks. I even own a frying pan and a pot made by De Buyer and use a spartula from Le Creuset - sorry for misspellings.

I have a couple of saucepans and two little frying pans made by Le Creuset that I've owned for 20 years @Hermine. I cook with them every day.