Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is one to say about June? The time of perfect young summer, the fulfilment of the promise of the earlier months, and with as yet no sign to remind one that its fresh young beauty will ever fade.

Gertrude Jekyll
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 17 December 2018 - Makeup for men

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,026 Teacher
We read an article about a new trend - makeup for men:

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2018/oct/13/makeup-for-men-beauty-trend

Vocabulary Top 10:

glossy - having a shiny, smooth surface

blobs - a usually small amount of something thick and wet

blotchy - covered in uneven marks

parched - very dry

squinty - partly closed or seeming to be partly closed (referring just to eyes)

tinted - with a small amount of color

piggybacking - to be carried by or connected to something else or to cause (something) to be carried by or connected to something else

smear - to spread or drip in an untidy way

kneejerk - occurring quickly and without thought

kickstart - to cause (something) to start quickly

Do you think that in the future men will wear makeup as frequently as women?

Comments

• HermineHermine Moderator Posts: 7,925 mod
    @NatashaT, is it allowed to write something in here regarding the theme?
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,026 Teacher
    @Hermine yes, that's the idea of having the post here about the article! Please feel free to write whatever you would like about the theme here, and you can do the same for previous ones too!
  • ech0panditech0pandit Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Personally I don't like make up, you can't be that way all the time plus you can't just trust all the cosmetics these days.

the make up was and is intended to be used rarely or on a very important occasion, but in present time its a whole different story, I have seen 13-16 year olds (boys ofcourse) not bathing and just using the facewash or creams. In other words I think make up is only for girls hahah.

you guys know the phrase, "where's the restroom. I've to powder my nose/ use lip gloss/eyeliner/blablabla " lol.

no offense.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think makeup could really catch on among male population, although ever more men are concerned about their appearance as well as women.

Men use skincare cream to hydrate their skin, try to smooth their wrinkles, even to level the crow's feet, I suppose.

They even used to submit to sun-lamp treatment, especially in the 80s, in order to be more attractive.

They don't just limit themselves to trim moustaches, beard, as seems to fall into routine practice, but they often go so far as to even adjust the nose hair length and eyebrows' hair poking out.

Needless to say some men also abhor to such an extent their Yeti/Chewbacca's hairy appearance, their hirsute being, as to decide to totally shave every square-centimeter of their hair-littered body: they actually dare to shave themselves from top to toes.

However, this all has to do with the inner narcissist nature of some men, who spend long minutes mirroring and like to please and attract for their flawless beauty too.

This new trend, though, has more to do with the millennial generation and the one following it, I believe.

In this respect, it is interesting an article I read about the fact ever more youths, teenagers and older, when asked about their gender respond they don't feel to fit into either of the binary system's male-female ones.

So far, nothing that much surprising, given the easiness by which they come out nowadays in more evoluted societies.

What's more striking though, is that they don't feel to belong to the LGBT community either.

Their answer is often a plain: ' I am what I am, I don't belong to the conventional mainstream genders, let me check the other box '.

They claim to be queer, a-gender, no-gender, questioning and so on.

Their identity is not fixed and their sexuality varies accordingly, is changeable along with, depending on the moments, situations, experience.

Young people who don't feel comfortable with being classified as male or female, despite their anatomy at birth would confirm a status beyond any reasonable doubts.

They don't feel comfortable, either, with being assigned the labels: gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender.

They feel ' another thing, to live an individual diversity, to represent one distinct point in a continuum, a beam of light within a spectrum ranging from two opposite extreme points '.

Yes, I can't but sympathize with this attitude and point of view, with this authentic, genuine feelings.

I also think so: there is no fixed gender: human nature is a continue evolutionary developing: anatomic separated features don't arrange for anything in life at all; there are also your genes which want to have a say, as well as your education, your experiences, your sensitivity.

Youngsters and digital native are also lucky to have managed to get in contact with one another via the socials. This way they have come to understand their ' gender unique personality ' isn't a Nature's mistake or bizarre chimera, they do exist, they are ever more, they set a community, another hope for all us too.

They have the right to wear their makeup too, whenever they feel like it, if this suits their utopic volatile gender.

God bless The Nature and this revelation too: genders have unnumerable nuances, despite what we have been told so far.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !