Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 15 January 2019 - The cost of keeping Singapore clean

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,012 Teacher
We read an article about why and how Singapore stays so clean:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20181025-the-cost-of-keeping-singapore-squeaky-clean

the war on dirt

Vocabulary Top 10:

misnomer - a name that is wrong or not proper or appropriate

scour - to search (something) carefully and thoroughly

squeaky clean - completely clean

linger - to stay somewhere beyond the usual or expected time

lofty - very high and good; deserving to be admired

hawker - a person who offers (something) for sale especially by calling out or by going from one person to another

plethora - a very large amount or number : an amount that is much greater than what is necessary

hallmark - a quality, ability, etc., that is typical of a particular person or thing

balloon - (verb) to become bigger quickly

adhere - to act in the way that is required by (something, such as a rule, belief, or promise)

Do you think these techniques would work in your city?

Comments

• BassaBassa Posts: 101 ✭✭✭
    Hi @NatashaT ,I think this theqniques would work in all cities, education of people is at the base...
    The other face of the medal is that the mentality of peoples not always can be changed trought the education...
    This is a deeper problem...
    You should behaviou well as part of society in which you live...
    As every cell of our body working correctly ensures the proper function of the entire organism...
    But not always people think like this..
    Very often it seems like we are living in a planet isn’t ours...or in a city that isn't belonging also to us...
    So my point of view is that to make a change we need an evolution which starts from a revolution inside us...
    All useful techniques will come later...
  • NuruNuru Posts: 24 ✭✭
    hey @NatashaT you have raised a nice topic. In my opinion, of course they will work. The only thing that most cities or countries lack is a government or people that can work right from their heart to bring change.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit suspicious when a country leader, or city-state leader in this case, grows so crazy about cleanliness and order.

It seems as though they want to give their citizens a priority of thought over, say, politics' debates or to prevent the masses from considering the way their civil rights or freedom are dealt with.

I understand that the former Prime Minister and founder of the city-state of Singapore used to decide over nearly all aspects of society.

I read that he even banned long hair's habit, in the 70s, in an attempt to stop the encroaching growth of the hippie's culture and rebel lifestyle over Singaporean's land, spreading from the U.S.

According to the ruler's mindset, the long-haired men were to be attended last by the civil servants, as a means to discourage male youngsters willing to embrace this new fashion and social identity.

In this respect, I believe the push to keep your town clean should arise from a genuine attitude by the community itself or by their representatives, be it the council or the constituencies.

Conscientious leaders should give their attention and priority to higher, more pressing matters, such as either economic and market policies, or internal and foreign politics.

Otherwise I would hold them capricious masters rather than authentic rulers: the ones who pretend to have a final say on whatever aspects, even the most trivial, of their citizens' life:

from fanatical minute cleanliness to rigorous flushing the toilet, or even whenever you fancy a chewing-gum on the way.

People risk to be fined if they dare to walk off the fixed path, which has been so lovingly pointed out to them by their paternalism-affected lead.

Even a Big Brother system and net of informers among compliant citizens has been set up to convince the more recalcitrant to buy into the packaged behaviour.

If anything, however, the Singaporean's system bear the merit to have given a job to persons in difficulties, as cleaners.

Nevertheless, I'm afraid, the employment's level might have been two-threefold higher, had they thought of new job vacancies: the toilet's flush' puller.

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,012 Teacher
    @Bassa , @Nuru and @filauzio - it sounds like education and a sense of responsibility for the world around you are better solutions to fixing this problem. Just forcing people to do it, by either charging them for it (fines) or paying them to do it (cleaners) doesn't seem like it would work in the long run.