Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 21 January 2019 - Money vs ethics at work

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,081 Teacher
We read an article about whether people can afford to choose whether they work for a company based on ethics:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20181019-why-were-too-broke-to-stick-with-our-principles

Vocabulary Top 10:

broke - (informal meaning) not having any money

ditch - to stop having or using (something you no longer want or need) : to get rid of (something); to not go to (something, such as school, work, etc.)

cohort - a group of people used in a study who have something (such as age or social class) in common

salary hit - a reduction in the amount of money you earn

a string of - a series of similar things; a series of events which follow each other in time

lip service - support for someone or something that is expressed by someone in words but that is not shown in that person's actions

novelty - something that is new or unusual

liaise - to make it possible for two organizations or groups to work together and provide information to each other

hustle - to quickly move or push (someone) often in a rough way; to get (something, such as money) in an illegal or improper way

pharmaceuticals - drugs or medicines

What is more important when choosing a job: the company values, or the salary?
Would you leave a job if the company did something that you didn't agree with?

Comments

• Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like being in a horror movie that you feel horrible when everything seems to be going wrong. I was just trying to explain the meaning of lip service by making an easy sentence, but when people ignored it, it turns out like I was saying something ironically. Just make sure there's no misunderstanding. I respect you and always thank you, Natasha and you are absolutely our good teacher.:)
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,081 Teacher
    @Shiny03 No problem at all! I know you were just making an easy example sentence! I had even forgotten about it already :D Please don't spend another minute worrying!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,978 mod
    If only everybody with a good heart could do anything they want to make a better world ...........
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An Italian saying is like: between saying and doing, there lies the sea; I don't know the English correspondent proverb, if there's any.

Anyway, its meaning is that it is much easier to claim, affirm anything, than to put words into action and behave accordingly, sticking to your goals and principles. Lip service is easier than buckle down to it.

I don't know if the so-called millennials are much more demanding than the previous generations, about the ethical grounds of their employers.

I believe they have much more informations about the world and its prospects of decline or success, though.

They are open-minded, more inclined to accept diversity, more prone to dismiss silly biases and social classes' divide; they are more determined and single-focused to pursue their pin-pointed dream, whatever it cost.

Or, at least, that's what we are often told they are like, when considering this generation as a whole.

Nevertheless, I'm afraid, when it comes to the real life, when you have to face households bills, mortgage's burden, daily bread and bacon, clothing and maybe kids to bring up, your long-nurtured, tenderly cuddled dream is likely to be doomed and vanish in a cloud of smoke.

Not that you aren't allowed to pursue your dream of a better world any longer. The fact is that it is inexorably condemned to clash with the world as it is now, wherever you turn to.

The current system of values and principles, in fact, has been set by the previous ' evil and unethical ' generations; needless to say the market is part of such system too.

This means you can't but put up with it and accept the job which satisfies you best as to the salary; obviously, this is true in the majority of cases, unless you are an highly qualified engineer in high demand among many tech firms.

On the contrary, you can also prefer to spend time hopping from a job vacancy to the other, expecting the one which finally makes it to having you buying into their ethics.

I would advice, though, that you fill the vacancy before another equally-qualified candidate to the same job, beat you at it, with a longer, ethics-unscrupolous, more resolute leap.

Better getting your job first: then, when you're settled in, you can start to ruminate how to change its ethics to better match them to your genuinely held own.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • Shiny03Shiny03 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you so much Natasha. I feel relieved now.:)

I can't tell people they should quit their job or not, because it depends on that person who feels comfortable at working or not. However, there's one thing for sure which is it takes courage to quit and you need to believe that you can find a better place to work and earn much more money. This is what I heard from a friend's friend's friend. She was a recruited lawyer. She quit soon after she assisted a senior lawyer in a case. That senior lawyer told his customer if he/she paid four million dollars, he would save his/her son who was ostensibly guilty and win this case. She was so depressed, because she believed justice existed in law. She thought her job was helping people in need, but not in this situation.

A very famous book about food additive in Japan.

The author was a top salesman while working for a food additive company. He was very proud at his work and acclaimed to his customers that you didn't need skills or spend years to become a master and yet make great products. But one day when he came home and saw his children were eating meatballs made with lots of food additives happily. He was shocked and quit the next day immediately. He was like wide awake suddenly and realized that he was actually feeding his children those chemical poisoned food.

Above all, I'm not trying to convince people virtue is far more important than money. In my opinion, it's all about choices. If you feel something wrong and not happy about it, you have choices and find your way out. It's definitely the worst way to torture yourself to keep doing something you are not happy with.