Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Sergey pronunciation

Serg_KimSerg_Kim Posts: 13 ✭✭
Hi all!

My name is Sergey. It is a Russian name. You can see how it is pronounced here pronouncenames.com (I'm not allowed to post links, so you have to search on the website by yourself). Pronunciation: Sehr-gay
At the moment I frequently communicate with English speakers and sometimes it seems to me they do not feel comfortable calling me by name.
I don't know why, might be it sound weird in English or kind of unnatural, or whatever...
It might be that I'm wrong. I'm just thinking that might be I should try offering them to call me Serge or Serj on a Franch manner.
What do you think?

Cheers, Sergey\Serj :)

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭
    @Serg_Kim I don't know what their problem is with the pronunciation of your name, which is not a particularly unusual Russian name. Maybe they don't like the 'gay' at the end of your name (if they are homophobic). You don't say what nationality they are. It's odd though, as Sergey is not an unusual name. I wouldn't change my name if it was me, but if it makes you feel more comfortable, Serge might be an alternative.