Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"The April rain, the April rain,
Comes slanting down in fitful showers,
Then from the furrow shoots the grain,
And banks are fledged with nestling flowers;
And in grey shawl and woodland bowers
The cuckoo through the April rain
Calls once again."

Mathilde Blind, April Rain
April
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What is the funniest video you have seen?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 9,149 mod
I spend quite a lot of time on the internet watching funny videos, and I enjoy it a lot. I always enjoy watching videos with cats in them, as I think they are wonderful animals.

What about you? What is the funniest video you have seen on the internet recently?

Comments

  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,503 mod
    I still roll about laughing when I see Fawlty Towers, even though it is now quite old.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    mheredge said:

    I still roll about laughing when I see Fawlty Towers, even though it is now quite old.

    Yes I like those, though it is a shame that they made only a small number of episodes, as there was a lot more they could have done with them.
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,503 mod
    I can't believe why they only made 12 episodes. It's such a shame as they're priceless.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    mheredge said:

    I can't believe why they only made 12 episodes. It's such a shame as they're priceless.

    I think things were different back then, and they wouldn't have realised just how popular they would become - mostly years later when they became "classics"!
  • mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 37,503 mod
    @GemmaRowlands it was more to do with the fact that John Cleese and Connie Booth both quit the show after twelve episodes. Apparently they were married during season one when the first six parts were filmed, but divorced before season two, four years later when the following six episodes were made. It is possible that their marriage difficulties were also the reason for the gap between seasons. It seems more were written, and a third season was possible, but never came to fruition.

    Then again, the BBC apparently never really wanted it according to this article where John Cleese was interviewed about it.

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/5286579/Fawlty-Towers-the-classic-sitcom-the-BBC-didnt-want.html

    Another theory is that Cleese and Booth decided to quit before a third series to ensure the show's successful status would not be weakened with later, lower-quality work. It seems this has inspired makers of other shows to follow suit like Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant who refused to make a third series of either The Office or Extras, citing Fawlty Towers' short lifespan.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,149 mod
    mheredge said:

    @GemmaRowlands it was more to do with the fact that John Cleese and Connie Booth both quit the show after twelve episodes. Apparently they were married during season one when the first six parts were filmed, but divorced before season two, four years later when the following six episodes were made. It is possible that their marriage difficulties were also the reason for the gap between seasons. It seems more were written, and a third season was possible, but never came to fruition.

    Then again, the BBC apparently never really wanted it according to this article where John Cleese was interviewed about it.

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/5286579/Fawlty-Towers-the-classic-sitcom-the-BBC-didnt-want.html

    Another theory is that Cleese and Booth decided to quit before a third series to ensure the show's successful status would not be weakened with later, lower-quality work. It seems this has inspired makers of other shows to follow suit like Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant who refused to make a third series of either The Office or Extras, citing Fawlty Towers' short lifespan.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fawlty_Towers

    Well I suppose it would make things very difficult when it comes to making more episodes if the main actors were not able to get on with each other during the filming!
Sign In or Register to comment.