Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Food for foodies

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,941 ✭✭✭✭
    I coated some duck breast fillets with a five spice mix before quickly frying them to put in a salad. The five spice made them taste very nice and it worked very well with taboule and salad.
    An article for you @ech0pandit . It's about how convincing people to eat plant-rich diets, avoid junk food and care about nutrition is seen as critical to global human health and tackling climate change, which itself threatens droughts and extreme weather that disrupt food supplies.

For poor diet has now overtaken smoking as the world's biggest killer, according to the latest Global Burden of Disease study, causing 20 percent of deaths globally in 2017.

I'm preaching to the converted with @Paulette and @bfluentmanish but you might find this an interesting article too.

http://news.trust.org/item/20190502004506-lth65/

Also 'Death by Diet' is interesting.

http://news.trust.org/package/death-by-diet/

edited May 6
    Tonight I had great fun cooking with locals. We were shown how to make risotto and tiramisu, two favourite dishes from just across the border (Italy). The rice was perhaps the tastiest I have tasted and I might just start eating rice again. Spending so much time in Nepal where everyone eats rice twice a day/7 days a week has somewhat put me off rice, but after tonight's risotto, I have been converted.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I think it is scary sometimes just how much an unhealthy diet can have a negative impact on our lives. I am trying to change mine, but it isn't always as easy as it should be!
    I think it gets easier as you go along as your taste changes. I find now I really do not crave those foods I used to like that are not so healthy @GemmaRowlands.
    mheredge said:

I think it gets easier as you go along as your taste changes. I find now I really do not crave those foods I used to like that are not so healthy @GemmaRowlands.

Hopefully I'll be like that soon enough, as my whole family need to have a healthy change, and I plan to make that happen very very soon.
    I have been rather naughty today and bought a bar of 85% dark chocolate! I am testing my self-control and rationing how much I eat each day.
    mheredge said:

I have been rather naughty today and bought a bar of 85% dark chocolate! I am testing my self-control and rationing how much I eat each day.

At least it's dark chocolate, which has health benefits, in comparison to milk chocolate, which is what I always snack on.
    I was good and didn't have any yesterday and won't today. I did have a biscuit though, which was naughty. Today I have been good though.
    I'm really enjoying the fish soups and stews that are typical of where I am right now. Tonight I had an excellent sturgeon fish soup. This was farmed fish and not wild as wild sturgeon is a protected species here.
    mheredge said:

I'm really enjoying the fish soups and stews that are typical of where I am right now. Tonight I had an excellent sturgeon fish soup. This was farmed fish and not wild as wild sturgeon is a protected species here.

I like fish soup. I had a beautiful fish soup in a cafe a few months ago, and I'm not sure what kind of fish it was, but it tasted fantastic.
    I had grilled turbot and salad for lunch. Romania might not be a particularly foodie place but simple dishes like this are always good.
    mheredge said:

I had grilled turbot and salad for lunch. Romania might not be a particularly foodie place but simple dishes like this are always good.

Sometimes simple is best. I think people can try to be too clever with food sometimes, and make things too complicated.
    I'm about to go to dinner at one of the top restaurants in Odessa that cooks predominantly French style, but with some local dishes. It's supposed to be no 2 in Odessa yet is still cheaper than a cheap restaurant in Nice. I will probably push the boat out and go to town tonight.
    I not only went to town but probably overdid it with the strawberry and white chocolate millefeuille dessert.
    I had the most delicious tripe soup tonight. I found this recipe and I want to make it when I get home, it was so good.

Ingredients
    1 lb tripe (calf belly)
    1 cup (sunflower) oil
    2 cups fresh milk
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly diced
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    dried hot chili pepper mix

https://www.findbgfood.com/recipe-shkembe
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭✭
    Stop, stop showing all those delicous food on photos.
    Well the food tour was very good @Hermine. I won't tease you with photos!
    Today in Geno I bought some trofiette, a Genovese typical type of pasta, and some pesto sauce made with a local recipe. I'm looking forward to dinner when I get home tonight.
    mheredge said:

Today in Geno I bought some trofiette, a Genovese typical type of pasta, and some pesto sauce made with a local recipe. I'm looking forward to dinner when I get home tonight.

That sounds very nice indeed. I love Pesto, and I really like it with pasta - I always add spinach and pine nuts as well!
    I'm not sure I've had pesto and pasta with spinach. I will have look into this as it sounds really nice.
    mheredge said:

I'm not sure I've had pesto and pasta with spinach. I will have look into this as it sounds really nice.

It is really nice! I would always cook the spinach and eat it hot though, and would sprinkle parmesan cheese on top, too.
    I found some rabbit liver yesterday. I lightly fried it with some rosemary and added it to a tossed salad with some lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes.
    mheredge said:

I found some rabbit liver yesterday. I lightly fried it with some rosemary and added it to a tossed salad with some lettuce, cucumber, and tomatoes.

I've never eaten liver, I wouldn't even know how to cook it. The salad part of the meal does sound very nice though, and I would happily eat that bit.
    Liver is so easy. You just stir fry it for three or four minutes in butter and that's all there is to it.
    The humble fish cake gets a pitch from The Guardian today. I love fish and used to like fish fingers as a kid. I'm still not sure I'm convinced about fish cakes though.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/11/how-to-eat-fishcakes?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA3MTI=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

mheredge said:

The humble fish cake gets a pitch from The Guardian today. I love fish and used to like fish fingers as a kid. I'm still not sure I'm convinced about fish cakes though.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/11/how-to-eat-fishcakes?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA3MTI=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

I like fish cakes with rice and vegetables. I only had them for the first time a few years ago when my mum cooked them for me, and I have had lots since then!
    I wouldn't eat them with rice as often they have potato added, so starch on starch is a bit much for me. With green beans or salad, these ones in particular look very tempting.
    mheredge said:

I wouldn't eat them with rice as often they have potato added, so starch on starch is a bit much for me. With green beans or salad, these ones in particular look very tempting.

I only have them with rice because that's what my mum used to cook them with, and I've never really thought about changing it!
    I'm biting my tongue. Yesterday I was chatting with some French ladies and they were all in agreement about the British cuisine!