Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beautiful December

Now, when the garden awaits the return of spring
Now, when the silence is deep and blue
Now, when the winter has cast her spell again
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Here, where the snow is as soft as a woolly lamb
Here, where the nightfall is deep and blue,
Here, where the stars are so bright, you reach for them
Beautiful December, Beautiful December

Child, may you sleep in gentle peace tonight
Dream of songs that rise on silken wings!
When you wake, enchanted by the snowspun light
Sing the songs that came to you in dreams,
Your beautiful December dreams
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget the calendar. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to check where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice
https://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Reading Practice
https://learn-english.online

Writing Practice on our forum and Discord server.

Listening Practice
Podcasts on Spreaker
https://www.spreaker.com/user/learnenglishnetwork
Videos on our YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/learnenglishnetwork

Food for foodies

124»

Comments

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

I'm biting my tongue. Yesterday I was chatting with some French ladies and they were all in agreement about the British cuisine!

I guess every culture is different. The only thing I worry about with our food is that it seems to be getting unhealthier all the time.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,920 ✭✭✭✭
    I found this article incredibly patronising. I don't know, but what you think? Maybe because I don't have the problem of going on holiday with family, eating while travelling for me is usually a joy.

This article is about how 'dining out while away can lead to meltdowns. From setting a budget to finding a place to eat.' The author gives tips on how to make the most of your mealtimes away from home.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/17/the-rules-of-holday-eating?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA3MTg=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email#comment-131150129
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18
    mheredge said:

I found this article incredibly patronising. I don't know, but what you think? Maybe because I don't have the problem of going on holiday with family, eating while travelling for me is usually a joy.

I think that's just a writing style, which many bloggers, at least here, like to use. It's a marketing technique to encourage commenters. Especially for fitness and beauty bloggers.

"A beautiful body is got with sweat and restrictions. Such body raises you above common people. It's got a spine. Spine is a strong personality. Personalities like that don't dwell in cellulite enclosures."

"I've never met a clever woman with Monica Belucci on her avatar. Monica Belucci on an ava is something from the medical history of a lazy dumb c...t."
    (Lena Miro aka Miss Tramell)

Post edited by Practical_Severard on
    mheredge said:

This article is about how 'dining out while away can lead to meltdowns. From setting a budget to finding a place to eat.' The author gives tips on how to make the most of your mealtimes away from home.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/jul/17/the-rules-of-holday-eating?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA3MTg=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email#comment-131150129

As a writer, I can't actually believe that a national newspaper has allowed that to be published. It is a horrible and terribly patronising writing style I think!
    I'm glad it's not just me. I made a comment and got a very patronising reply too.
    mheredge said:

I'm glad it's not just me. I made a comment and got a very patronising reply too.

I think a lot of people just write things because they're paid to, and sometimes reactions - even when negative - are seen as good, because at least it gets people reading the articles.
    I find that most travel articles are a bit like this too, highlighting the top five or how ever many things to see, but not really saying anything new that a quick skim over what wikipedia has to say about the place.

I have a young friend who is just starting out blogging about her travels and food. As she is writing from personal experience, it is so much more interesting and not at all patronising.
    I am very happy now that I am able to use my kitchen properly, and I can cook lots of lovely things. So far I have made a steak pie with roast potatoes and vegetables, and tonight I am going to make a really nice ham salad with baked potatoes. I am so happy!
    No more snacking! O r at least now you don't have any excuse.

Tonight I had rabbit that was cooked in lemon, with some braised fennel cooked with rosemary from the pot on my terrace and star anise. I roast a couple of potatoes to go with it.
    mheredge said:

No more snacking! O r at least now you don't have any excuse.

Tonight I had rabbit that was cooked in lemon, with some braised fennel cooked with rosemary from the pot on my terrace and star anise. I roast a couple of potatoes to go with it.

Now, I'm not promising I will never snack (haha) but it is certainly much better now, and I am enjoying being able to plan what I'm eating again instead of just eating rubbish.
    Don't worry, we won't hold you to it @GemmaRowlands. And I don't know about you but when it is too hot like it is right now, the last thing I want to do is cook anything (last night was a bit of an exception). I am glad I have things in the fridge that I can snack on.
    mheredge said:

Don't worry, we won't hold you to it @GemmaRowlands. And I don't know about you but when it is too hot like it is right now, the last thing I want to do is cook anything (last night was a bit of an exception). I am glad I have things in the fridge that I can snack on.

Yes, I eat a lot of cold salads in this kind of weather, or just things that I can make really quickly, as I don't want to be standing in front of a hot stove for too long.
    Somehow I managed to forget lunch and so when I got near home I got myself a pre-roasted chicken, still warm from the oven. I was so hungry by then that I'm afraid I wolfed down the drum sticks and wings, while pulling the rest of the meat off the carcass to put in the fridge. But I also put the bones in a pan to make some chicken stock and roasted the skin to make crispy, so I wasn't completed out of control!
    Last night I made homemade pizza, using a tortilla wrap as the base, and putting plenty of toppings on. It was lovely, and everyone enjoyed them!
    Having had some good excuses to visit Italy over the past few weeks I have stocked up on some very good Genovese pesto, different pastas, and hard cheese that I'm slowly munching my way through.
    At my band, whenever it is somebody's birthday, they always take in either cakes or sweets for people to enjoy. There have been some beautiful cakes recently, and it seems that there are a lot of people who have birthdays at this time of year!
    I came across a shop that sold plantain and as I had some chicken in the fridge, I found myself a chicken and plantain coconut curry recipe. I am very much looking forward to dinner tonight.

Tonight, I am making a curry. It will be chicken, sweetcorn, chickpea, sweet potato, with a sort of korma sauce, but with a bit more of a kick. We also have poppadoms and naan bread, which should make for a real treat!
    I had curry last night (plantain, chicken and coconut), so today I decided to go for the last piece of rabbit that I had cooked in a white wine sauce that was in the freezer.
    I was going to cook a curry last night, as mentioned in my post, but my partner surprised me by taking me out for a meal, which was lovely. I had beautiful lasagne which was very tasty. I am going to make the curry tomorrow evening instead!
    Yesterday I visited Ventigmille, a border town in Italy just an hour away. I decided to eat cheap and cheerful (12€) and it was excellent value. I had a Greek salad to start with fresh creamy feta to die for and then I had a delicious potato and calamari with parsley for my main course.
    This evening, I made a beautiful chilli con carne. My partner and his son both loved it, so I can safely say that it will be on the list of meals that I will make for them again!
    I'm starting to run down the food I have in my fridge as I don't want to have anything left by the time I go on holiday. I have the nasty habit of having half open packs of butter left and onions that all will have sprouted by the time I get back.
    I really like this news. This restaurant as well as running introductory courses, recruits an annual cohort of people at risk, or with experience, of homelessness for a two-year apprenticeship a charity’s restaurant near Tower Bridge, London. Here they are able to graduate with an NVQ level 2 diploma in professional cookery, a prestigious work placement and an ongoing support network.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/aug/14/social-enterprise-restaurant-homeless-barbecue-beyond-food-brigade?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA4MTU=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email
    As I rather like foie gras, I am glad I live in France. This looks like it will get banned in the UK after Brexit if this article is anything to go by. It seems that New York has taken the step to ban it from the menus at their restaurants.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/03/foie-gras-pressure-grows-british-chefs-new-york-ban?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTExMDQ=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email