Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 12 February 2019 - The secret travel club that's been everywhere

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
We read about a travel club which includes many famous explorers and scientists, among others:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20190116-the-secret-travel-club-thats-been-everywhere

Vocabulary Top 10:

diner - a small, informal, and inexpensive restaurant that looks like a railroad car

fast-paced - including a lot of different things happening quickly

clandestine - done in a private place or way : done secretly; often because it is illegal

globe-trotter - a person who frequently travels to different places around the world

mind-boggling - having a very powerful or overwhelming effect on the mind; amazingly or confusingly large, great, etc.

in-joke - a joke that is only understood by a particular group of people

name-dropping - the act of trying to impress someone by saying the names of well-known people that you know or have met

zeitgeist - the general beliefs, ideas, and spirit of a time and place

artifacts - a simple object (such as a tool or weapon) that was made by people in the past

taxidermy - the skill, activity, or job of preparing, stuffing, and mounting the skins of dead animals so that they look like they did when they were alive

Do you think it would be interesting to see this club?
Which stories would you be most excited to hear about?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,821 mod
    edited February 18
    Would I be so wrong if I say that this travel club also contributes to the now many discussed global warming?
    They stimulate other adventurers and tourists to travel and explore and as we know flying is not good at all for our climate.
    Forests have to be moved to make place for hotels etc.
    Also a root to the global warming.

So I am curious about how this club now "inspires everyone to make the world a better place".
    Do they come with ideas to reduce this global warming?
    Post edited by april on
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
    Good question, @april ! I guess in a way they found these wonderful places and made people want to go there - and these people have now destroyed those places.

Maybe they don't encourage people to go anymore - instead, they make films and take photos to show people what it is like, so they don't need to go themselves, and therefore preserving those areas?

It would be interesting to hear their response!
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,821 mod
    Many times I've got the impression that films or pictures are more beautiful than the reality, but still ... you then can't say "I WAS THERE!" if you don't see it with your own eyes. :D
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
    @april they always take the footage on the most beautiful days, with the best lighting!! :D