Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Still lie the sheltering snows, undimmed and white;
And reigns the winter's pregnant silence still;
No sign of spring, save that the catkins fill,
And willow stems grow daily red and bright.
These are days when ancients held a rite
Of expiation for the old year's ill,
And prayer to purify the new year's will."
Helen Hunt Jackson, A Calendar of Sonnet's: February
Learn English in February

Famous photos: The Kissing Sailor

mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,806 ✭✭✭✭
George Mendonsa, the sailor who was captured in a famous photograph where he was kissing a woman in Times Square in the celebrations of the end of the second world war, has died at the age of 95.

The photograph by Alfred Eisenstaedt was published in Life magazine and became one of the most famous images of the 20th century.

The kissing couple were complete strangers. Greta Friedman, a dental assistant who was at the time wearing her nurse’s uniform was grabbed out of blue. She said, “It wasn’t my choice to be kissed. The guy just came over and kissed.”

In fact his date was there too and can be seen in seen in the background of the photo. She said she didn’t mind that he locked lips with another woman amid the celebration. She even became his wife of seven decades. She told how he would sometimes repeat the performance. “It’ll come up that he’s ‘The Kissing Sailor’. So the kissing sailor has to think he has to kiss everybody. So he does!”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/18/george-mendonsa-kissing-sailor-second-world-war-photograph?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTAyMTk=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

Comments

• VokVok Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭
    This news caught my attention this morning too. I wonder what made this picture so popular? There are so many better shots out there.

> @mheredge said:
    > In fact his date was there too and can be seen in seen in the background of the photo. She said she didn’t mind that he locked lips with another woman amid the celebration.

This bit is really weird. I woudn't get away if I did something like this.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭
    Vok said:

This news caught my attention this morning too. I wonder what made this picture so popular? There are so many better shots out there.

This bit is really weird. I woudn't get away if I did something like this.

This was the celebration of the WWII's victory. The end of the war was so immensely important to everyone that the public atmosphere was of total brotherhood. People could kiss and hug total strangers. That war was disasterous enough here, so I can understand the sentiments of those people.

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 41,806 ✭✭✭✭
    @Vok I think the guy was a bit larger than life. At least he was lucky enough to have a tolerant wife.

I think the photo caught people's imagination by the spontaneity of the deed. It seems that Mendonsa wasn't the only one either. Though this was taken in Canada.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/ve-day-victory-in-europe

@Practical_Severard I found this photo of victory celebrations in Red Square.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    This is a wonderful photo, however I'm sure I would be happy if my boyfriend came home and then kissed another woman before kissing me!
    Maybe she didn't mind because he had already kissed her @GemmaRowlands. But I know what you mean!
    mheredge said:

Maybe she didn't mind because he had already kissed her @GemmaRowlands. But I know what you mean!

Hmm perhaps. Although I do think things were different in those days, and she was probably just very pleased to have him home again.
    I think now most men might be too scared that they would be accused of assault or something @GemmaRowlands. And to be honest, quite right too.
    mheredge said:

I think now most men might be too scared that they would be accused of assault or something @GemmaRowlands. And to be honest, quite right too.

Yes I suppose that's true, I think women would be much more likely to take offence about being kissed like that these days.
    For me this is one of the most poignant photos I have seen.

The 'Napalm Girl,' Kim Phuc was 9 years old in 1972 when she was photographed, screaming in pain, after napalm was dropped near her village.

It encapsulated the horror and pointlessness of war.

Her story is very interesting.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/napalm-girl
    mheredge said:

For me this is one of the most poignant photos I have seen.

The 'Napalm Girl,' Kim Phuc was 9 years old in 1972 when she was photographed, screaming in pain, after napalm was dropped near her village.

It encapsulated the horror and pointlessness of war.

Her story is very interesting.

https://allthatsinteresting.com/napalm-girl

We studied this in history at school, and it was horrific. It is always the most innocent people who are damaged the most by war.
    It is very interesting how contrived the story around the picture was @GemmaRowlands and even years later, Kim Phuc said little about the real background to the event. The article is very interesting on this.