Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On this breezy October morn, I walk
in the swift shadows of cloud-cursing rooks,
watching the world wake on the horizon.
Leo Yankevich
All houses wherein men have lived and died
Are haunted houses. Through the open doors
The harmless phantoms on their errands glide,
With feet that make no sound upon the floors.

We meet them at the doorway, on the stair,
Along the passages they come and go,
Impalpable impressions on the air,
A sense of something moving to and fro.
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 19 February 2019 - 'Ghosting' at work

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,081 Teacher
We read an article about the trend of ghosting - when a person suddenly ends all contact without any explanation - becoming more common in the workplace:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190118-how-people-are-ghosting-their-employers

Vocabulary Top 10:

bespoke - made to fit a particular person

labor force - all the members of a particular organization or population who are able to work, viewed collectively

transitioning - making a change from one state, place, or condition to another

purporting - to claim to be or do a particular thing when this claim may not be true

a short while - a small amount of time

felt off - to not feel right

to be on the up - to be increasing

end of year review - a formal performance assessment for the year done in workplaces

cut from the team - to remove (someone) from a team, organization, etc.

drawn-out - continuing for or taking a long time

Have you ever ghosted anyone, or been ghosted?
Do you think it would be possible to ghost at work in your country?

Comments

• taghriedtaghried Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    this article is talking about that there is a startup introduced services it called(bespoke) for employees who had a strong desire to resign from their workplace.
    Employees couldn't deliver their resignation to their boss because of the culture imposed on them to work in the same workplace all of their life.
    They considered quitting behaviour like a stigma. some institutions refused to cope with this company and said the employee must come by themselves to deliver his resign.
    There are employees who want to leave for 10 years and really suffering from their job.
    Employees who found their jobs aren't inappropriate for them, then they're "Ghosting" It means they disappeared without saying any explanation to their boss.
    someone had left his job "ghosted" because she found another better one and they've wanted her immediately after that she said the "reason that she made me left is that she felt (insecure and fickle) relationships with the employer."
    There was another person said that "there was an employer who (ghosted) candidate employee after have made tests and interviews.
    The writer here advice employee and employer or recruiter that don't waste your time to search for someone who disappeared and be more proactive to find another plan or person ... etc
    FINALLY, The writer said that don't be ever ghosted either employee or employer.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this verb ' ghosting ' should really belong to a rather childish jargon in use among youth people when they start to text and chat on socials when first try to establish a relationship.

They start doing small talk, touching simple topics such as the weather, the education, the hobbies, sports and so on, just to break the ice.

Then, when, say, the boy ask her out for an ice-cream... she ghosts, leaving him gob-smacked the nose glued to the screen which went deserted of any replies of hers.

That's the fate of the youngest generation of digital natives ( but adults newcomer to digital amenities' too ) who daren't ask their beloved out face to face.

When this practice happens in the workplaces, though, the consequences can be more serious, because it involves your reliability, professionality and the fact some bad references could always pass from your former employer to the next one.

You can keep up appearances, and try to refresh your professional persona, but in your inner self, you know there's an indelible stain in your career which someone could throw in your face any time.

After reading the article, it occurred to me of the fact ' ghosting ' could be dangerous and expensive to the ' ghost ', either, especially if they are resigning to join another employer who has allured them by a wage increase.

I'm referring to the non-compete clause which, sometimes, form part of the signed contract.

By this clause, the employers make sure the hired employee can't resign within a few years into the job, in order to join a competitor in the same field.

The clause usually applies within the border of the involved State, but could also stretch across several States and, according to the article I read, also involve all North America.

By means of that, the Companies claim that their employees, during the years in position, absorb knowledge which make up industrial/trade secrets which belongs exclusively to the Company and which, under no circumstances, can be passed to the rivals in the field.

Therefore, the resigning employee can't accept a better paying job in the same position by a competitor, lest they be sued for violating the non-compete clause signed up with the contract, and be removed from the new job too.

Moreover, sometimes the enforced clauses prevented them from becoming entrepreneurs themselves, or kept them from contacts with clients they dealt with when in former position, or even forbade them from poaching wages-disappointed former colleagues.

This kinds of clauses, probably concealed in small print at the bottom of the contract, represent a form of forced loyalty to your first employer, but turn out a yoke which curb employee's ability to choose their careers for the best.

Besides, they operate to keep the average salary low, reduce competitiveness, encourage brain-drain towards places where you can negotiate on fair frank terms what best fit you, without rancour left back to any sides involved.

BTW @NatashaT, could you imagine a synonim for the expression: ' felt off ' you put in the Vocabulary Top 10 above ? We cited ' smell a rat ', any other ? Thanks ;)
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,978 mod
    I can understand that somebody will quit his job without giving any reason, but saying that you quit because you're DEAD! .., that's way out of proportion!
    He didn't get that from a bespoke service office I suppose? :o
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,081 Teacher
    @filauzio I guess that's how the term started - when people started a relationship with another person, and then suddenly disappeared without a trace... but I agree with you, the consequences in the work environment could be far more serious. Employers are including many different clauses in contracts now which could really limit your future options. I wonder if they will start including specific 'ghosting' clauses soon?

@april It's a really really extreme way to quit! And not a very smart way. I think it would be easy to find out if it was true or not, based on social media - or if they continue working in the same field. Maybe you would need a bespoke service to do it - it would need to be very complicated to work!
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree @NatashaT, it could be a countermeasure on the ghosted companies' part.
    They could warn rebel employees, by adding a specific constriction clause simply reading:
    ' Ghost at your cost ! '
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !