Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Karl Lagerfeld

HermineHermine Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭✭
Karl Lagerfeld died yesterday, 19th February 2019.

Let's talk about him, his life and work. What do you know about him? What should we know? He lived a long and successful life.

I'm endeavouring to get out as much as possible about this outstanding person. And you are invitend to do the same.

Comments

• TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,160 mod
    We can run a Wednesday session on his life.
  • HermineHermine Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    Karl made a secret out of his age, like famous Diven did it. The media says he became 85. Who knows wheather it is true.
    In his homecountry Germany, Hamburg there he learnt to speak German and French, the second was perfected by living in Paris. And the third language was English which he also had an advanced level.
    He could switch over at once.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    @Hermine I feel like |I must be a real dunce. Who was Karl Lagerfield? I am not sure I have ever heard of him. Please excuse my ignorance.
  • PaulettePaulette Posts: 23,570 mod
    @mheredge he was an icon on the house of Chanel in Paris, France where he was the head designer of the fashion. have you never heard of his spectacular fashion shows.
    edited February 20
    He helped the level Chanel to get out of the shade.

@mheredge, no problem at all. We also don't belong to the rich one. (beautiful is another cup of tea)
  • VokVok Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭✭
    Never heard about him either. What should I learn about his life? What is so special about him apart from being a successful fashion designer?
    That explains why I am not familiar with his name @Hermine. I'm afraid high fashion is something that I don't really have any interest in.
    edited February 21
    Hey guys, I live in an almonst remote area and know Chanel and its first designer, in this case KL. Even getting a handkerchief from this company would make me happy.
    Rich Japanese like his outfits and Melania Trump sent a condolence, Monacos royalities wear his clothes and were friends.

His beloved cat Choupette will come into his inheritance. This beast will never ever have to catch a mouse.
    This sort of thing passes me by, but if the guy left his fortune to his cat, good for him @Hermine.
    You're right @mheredge. I don't see the world so strictly. We're here for a short time and in between belongs nonsense too.
    @mheredge, do be honest I was hopefully to hear from you something about him, because you are French. And in France fashion is on and always a big theme.
    edited February 21
    He was accused of letting twiggy young girls run the catwalk. Shame on him.
    Post edited by Hermine on
    edited February 21
    Hi Marianne, no thanks that is too much of time consuming following the bog of that beast.
    I'm more likely to want to waste time following the antics of a spoilt cat than I would on high fashion @Hermine! But each to their own taste. I have a pet hatred of labels.
    @mheredge, I can't understand your last sentence, please explain.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,160 mod
    edited February 22
    He believed his cat to be the most beautiful in the world. So recognizable is his cat in fact that Shu Uemura’s holiday collection, is called Shupette. While the designer had dogs in the past, he ended up preferring cats as they don’t require being walked on the street or having a country house. “I cannot walk in the street anymore. I mean, you know, in the age of cell phones, forget about it. In the city, cats are very easy to keep, because they are so clean. She is the most beautiful cat in the world,” he revealed in an interview.

It is funny his cat has its own Instagram page, as seemingly, Lagerfeld had contradictory views on social media. The fitting rooms in his London namesake flagship come equipped with selfie-ready iPads preloaded with Lagerfeld-inspired photo filters. Ironically, the designer — who pioneered all sorts of luxury accessories for mobile devices — said that he didn't understand social networks and hated selfies. “Those social networks, there’s something sad about them. Is it because they don’t have enough knowledge about friends and people? I don’t understand it. It’s like a talkative mirror where people talk to themselves. And what I hate most in life is selfies,” he once told WWD. In UK’s Vogue, Lagerfeld is quoted as saying: “I don’t use cell phones. I read, I write, I love faxes, I like to take notes. I hate to be on the phone, I think it’s an intrusion. I’m reading, I’m sketching, I don’t want to be interrupted.”

He became well recognized around the world for his trademark white hair, black glasses, and high starched collars. He had had his signature ponytail since 1976. The designer revealed that in the 70s he grew tired of having long, curly hair, so he pulled it back into a ponytail and that became his signature hairstyle. Around 1995 his hair turned ashy gray and, because he didn’t like hair products, the only thing he used to style his hair was Klorane dry shampoo.

When he was younger, he wanted to become a cartoonist, but thought he’d make more money in fashion. Interestingly for a designer at the helm of two of the world’s biggest luxury brands, when he first began his career his mother told him, “Oh, it is good, it shows that you are not a snob because otherwise you would never do a job like this.”

He had no time for alcohol. Claiming that he fell asleep instantly whenever he drank. He also claimed to stay away from cigarettes because he needed his hands “for sketching,” and attributed his ageless skin to washing it every night before bed. However, he was known to misrepresent his birth year, claiming to be younger than his actual age.

Source: https://www.thefashionspot.com
    I think I could have liked this guy @Teach! Especially his views on selfies and the fact he liked cats.

But isn't it funny how his mother thought he was going into a good career @Hermine? I tend to think high fashion is the height of snobbery.
    In each talk show he mentioned his mother. I think he built his own thoughts about her.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I am not very involved with the world of fashion, but I know some people who are and they are very saddened by his death.
    It would have completely passed me by if it wasn't for @Hermine pointing it out @GemmaRowlands.
    A blouse from Chanel, that would be the heaven on earth.
    I'd never wear it @Hermine. I'd be too worried about spilling something over it or catching a thread and ruining it. I prefer to be a bit of a scruffbag.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Hermine said:

A blouse from Chanel, that would be the heaven on earth.

I agree with mheredge, I think I too would be far too afraid of doing something to damage the garment, so I would be scared of using it.
    I'd leave it hanging on a hanger outside my wardrobe.
    Oh dear, oh dear, I know what a scruff is, but I don't know what a scruffbag is. Is it something cleaner?
    Not at all @Hermine. My father used to call me a scruffbag if I looked scruffy.

(slang) A scruffy person or creature.
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/scruffbag
    I didn't grow up like a Princess by wearing always clean dresses. I was rather the opposite, I always had something important in mind and did it, clothes was secundary.

I looked it up and the Internet dic. just translated scruffy, which is a very strong word.

Today I'm not too scruffy, more casual than smart though @Hermine. I'm always amazed at how chic most French women look most of the time.