Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Monday Night Owls - 25 February 2019 - The digital language divide

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,172 Teacher
We read about how the language you speak can shape your experience of the internet:

http://labs.theguardian.com/digital-language-divide/

Vocabulary Top 10:

divide - a separation of people into two or more groups that is caused by different opinions or beliefs or by a disagreement

entitlement - the condition of having a right to have, do, or get something; the feeling or belief that you deserve to be given something (such as special privileges)

shrink - to become smaller in amount, size, or value

weave - to create something (such as a story) by combining different things in usually a complicated way

telepathy - a way of communicating thoughts directly from one person's mind to another person's mind without using words or signals

orthography - the way in which the words of a language are spelled

vividly - seeming like real life because it is very clear, bright, or detailed

spectrum - a complete range of different opinions, people, etc.

segregation - the practice or policy of keeping people of different races, religions, etc., separate from each other

disenfranchised - prevented from having the right to vote, or access to other rights

What language do you usually use on the internet?
Do you look for different information in different languages?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,163 mod
    Depending on what kind of information I'm searching for, I actually use different languages!
    The news for example, I'll read it in my own language; information about diseases or medicine as well, because that is something that only concerns the country I live.
    I wonder though, if I become ill while I'm on holiday in a foreign country, let's say in Spain.
    Will I look for a medicine in English, in my own language or in Spanish on the internet?
    Since I don't know Spanish and I don't know the name of the medicine there, the only thing I can do is to let the farmacist decide for me!

For recipes, I sometimes use another languages.
    For example I wanted to eat Indonesian food, so I'll search for recipes in Indonesian.
    Luckily, I know Indonesian and I'll find delicious authentic recipes.
    For other delicious recipes like Italian, Turkish or Indian food, I have to content myself with recipes in English or Dutch which are maybe not so authentic any more?

Shopping online from a website outside your own country also can be difficult if we aren't multilingual.
    The condition or the return policy is always in their language and the nformation about the items too.
    The translation? Not always understandable.
    Sometimes I decide to not order an item just because I'm not sure about what I'll get!

Now, I realise that daily I use my own language on the internet and I only use English for LEN and when I'm looking for information about places I want to visit on holidays because I don't speak their language. :)