Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In lands I never saw -- they say
Immortal Alps look down --
Whose bonnets touch the firmament --
Whose sandals touch the town --

Meek at whose everlasting feet
A myriad daisy play --
Which, Sir, are you and which am I
Upon an August day?

Emily Dickinson
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Holidays

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 39,659 ✭✭✭✭
    Especially this time @Vok, as I have not booked anything after my arrival in Odessa and plan to wing it from then on. I want to be flexible.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,951 mod
    Vok said:

@mheredge I like that kind of feeling. Sometimes I think I like it more than the pleasure of travelling itself.

I agree. I think that's the case with many things, the anticipation is often better than the actual event!
    For me travel is more about the journey @Vok. Of course the destination is always interesting but I enjoy the travelling probably more.
  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭
    mheredge said:

Especially this time @Vok, as I have not booked anything after my arrival in Odessa and plan to wing it from then on. I want to be flexible.

Making it to Kiev from Odessa should be easy. The both are major cities, there must be a lot of bus and train options.
  • shasha96shasha96 Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I would love to visit London someday. I'm very much in love with London that I even want to shift there with my family or at least could go on a vacation of 2years. Everything is so lovely about London except the rains. I hope my wish come true one day.
    @shasha96 you might find the topic on London interesting. https://learnenglish.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/6414/london#latest

London has its pros and cons. It is very big so travelling from one side to the other can take a long time. It is also incredibly expensive - in particular accommodation to rent or buy.
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,080 mod
    Hi Shasha, we only say "the rains" when we are talking about monsoons and tropical countries. In London we would just say "the rain". :smile:
    I think May is another month in France that is full of holidays. There are three public holidays: Wednesday 1st May - Labour Day (Fête du Travail), Wednesday 8th May - VE Day - (Fête de la Victoire 1945), and Thursday 30th May - Ascension Day (l'Ascension). With them all in the middle of the week, this means a lot of people 'faire le pont' (make the bridge), that is to say, extend the holiday by taking off days to make it a very long weekend. I am sure this will happen particularly for Ascension since this falls on a Thursday.
    shasha96 said:

I would love to visit London someday. I'm very much in love with London that I even want to shift there with my family or at least could go on a vacation of 2years. Everything is so lovely about London except the rains. I hope my wish come true one day.

Maybe it is something that you could start to save up for? It doesn't rain in London all the time, so you might be lucky and choose a time to visit when it doesn't rain at all!
    I don't get the big attraction for London @shasha96. I lived and worked there for several years and I am very glad I don't any more.

• PaulettePaulette Posts: 22,437 mod
    edited May 8
    @mheredge it is a beautiful environment to cycle, with a lot of forests and nature, but I don't cycle much there because it lays more than 300km from my home. I live very close to Brugge, nearby the sea.
    But I was already three times on this area, and I saw the slatted structure of the church, an artwork to think about the fragilty of life but who is a robust construction.
    It does look lovely @Paulette.

Today is a public holiday in France (two down, one more to go this month). It is not as dead as 1 May as today is World War II Victory Day. I don't know whether it is a holiday in many other countries. In the UK there are no public holidays celebrating the end of the war.

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/france/wwii-victory-day
    mheredge said:

I don't get the big attraction for London @shasha96. I lived and worked there for several years and I am very glad I don't any more.

I think there's a lot to see if you don't live there, but once you're a resident you've seen everything so the city loses its shine somewhat.
    It's a great city to visit and not bad to live in if you can live near the centre (in my view) but it is extremely expensive and takes forever to travel out.

I'm getting excited about my holiday next week. I am starting to think what to pack as I want to travel as light as possible.
    mheredge said:

It's a great city to visit and not bad to live in if you can live near the centre (in my view) but it is extremely expensive and takes forever to travel out.

I'm getting excited about my holiday next week. I am starting to think what to pack as I want to travel as light as possible.

If you live in the centre you can pretty much walk to anything you need. I think I would like to live there maybe for a little while, but not for too long as it's too busy.
    You'd be surprised how many quiet spots there are in the centre of London @GemmaRowlands. I'm sure I have said how within five minutes of King's Cross and maybe slightly more to Russell Square, this whole area is peaceful and doesn't have much traffic yet it couldn't be more handy for the tubes, shops and not far from Leicester Square. London even in its centre is full of little quiet corners.
    mheredge said:

You'd be surprised how many quiet spots there are in the centre of London @GemmaRowlands. I'm sure I have said how within five minutes of King's Cross and maybe slightly more to Russell Square, this whole area is peaceful and doesn't have much traffic yet it couldn't be more handy for the tubes, shops and not far from Leicester Square. London even in its centre is full of little quiet corners.

I suppose so. I would have to try and find somewhere to live that was very quiet though, as I can't stand traffic noise at night.
    I am all packed and ready to go. Well, I still have to find by battery pack and make sure I have a couple of chargers packed. I am going on a road trip so who knows where I might end up!
  • VokVok Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭
    Bon voyage @mheredge . Don't forget to share with us your experience along the way.
    Have a nice trip @mheredge enjoy all the places and all the people you will see!
  • juancarlos_lopezjuancarlos_lopez Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Last weekend I was on holiday with my girlfriend in a spectacular spot in Almeria, a province bathed by the Mediterranean Sea. It is a national park called "Cabo de Gata", of volcanic origin, where tranquility and air join the intense blue waters of its beaches. I bought a painting by a local painter woman with a curious life story. I hope this painting will bring me back to that incredible calm, every time I look at it again when I wake up in the future.

Thirteen years ago that woman who lived in Madrid, which is the capital of Spain, left everything to change her life. She left the stress behind and began to paint, without haste, skies and beaches. She arrived in San José with the weight of a depression, derived, among other things, from a medical diagnosis that she would never have children. Today she is a woman who does with her life what she loves. If she wants to bathe, she leaves her tent open, crosses the beach and immerses herself in the sea. Now she has, as she told me, a wonderful couple and most importantly, she is a woman who, against all odds, has given life to a daughter whom she adores. If one day you pass by the town of "San José", you can go to Laura's gallery. A powerful energy will run through her body. I advise her to get carried away by her paintings and talk to the painter woman.

The fact is that this week I wrote a poem in Spanish, dedicated to the trip and my girlfriend, which I titled "Medudas en la playa" (Medudas on the beach). Now I will try to translate it into English. I hope you like it

Jellyfish on the beach

There's a walk alone and a walk with you,
    The edge of the beach where I was hugging you yesterday,
    Your body under the touch of my fingers of sand,
    Seeking intimacy, curving the time
    And listening to the waves. The will
    Seems the least of it when what happens
    It's unexpected rubbing, jellyfish between the legs and poison.
    The doubt of whether we will escape from the whip of fear
    And there'll be a next time,
    And you'll spread your skin next to mine.

Yet we gave no rein to panic.
    I just waited as you asked.
    The burning reverted to relief as I breathed you
    And I was wetting the hours with the salt from your lips,
    And I was swimming in the sea, on another beach,
    And I was caressing you with tenderness,
    And you was caressing me with infinite love.
    @juancarlos_lopez what a wonderful story of love, peace joy and sadness, all elements that we meet in our lives.
    It makes you think about my own life that is already during much longer thhan yours, but also about how you can make your life yourself.
    And the poem is very appropriate, you are a fantastic young man who knows what life means.
    I wish you a beautiful future!
    The first week of my holiday has flown by and has been a dream come true. I can't recommend highly enough the Danube Delta area in Romania if you want a beautiful, peaceful and relaxing place for your holiday.

Last weekend I was on holiday with my girlfriend in a spectacular spot in Almeria, a province bathed by the Mediterranean Sea. It is a national park called "Cabo de Gata", of volcanic origin, where tranquility and air join the intense blue waters of its beaches. I bought a painting by a local painter woman with a curious life story. I hope this painting will bring me back to that incredible calm, every time I look at it again when I wake up in the future.

Thirteen years ago that woman who lived in Madrid, which is the capital of Spain, left everything to change her life. She left the stress behind and began to paint, without haste, skies and beaches. She arrived in San José with the weight of a depression, derived, among other things, from a medical diagnosis that she would never have children. Today she is a woman who does with her life what she loves. If she wants to bathe, she leaves her tent open, crosses the beach and immerses herself in the sea. Now she has, as she told me, a wonderful couple and most importantly, she is a woman who, against all odds, has given life to a daughter whom she adores. If one day you pass by the town of "San José", you can go to Laura's gallery. A powerful energy will run through her body. I advise her to get carried away by her paintings and talk to the painter woman.

The fact is that this week I wrote a poem in Spanish, dedicated to the trip and my girlfriend, which I titled "Medudas en la playa" (Medudas on the beach). Now I will try to translate it into English. I hope you like it

Jellyfish on the beach

There's a walk alone and a walk with you,

The edge of the beach where I was hugging you yesterday,

Your body under the touch of my fingers of sand,

Seeking intimacy, curving the time

And listening to the waves. The will

Seems the least of it when what happens

It's unexpected rubbing, jellyfish between the legs and poison.

The doubt of whether we will escape from the whip of fear

And there'll be a next time,

And you'll spread your skin next to mine.

Yet we gave no rein to panic.

I just waited as you asked.

The burning reverted to relief as I breathed you

And I was wetting the hours with the salt from your lips,

And I was swimming in the sea, on another beach,

And I was caressing you with tenderness,

And you was caressing me with infinite love.

That is a wonderful piece of writing. Do you do a lot of writing? I think you could be a poet!
    I have met more tourists here in Ukraine than I did in Romania, which quite surprised me. But tourists here come from different countries - Turkey, Middle East, maybe Russia still, whereas tourists in Romania tend to be more likely from other European countries.
    I am currently planning a holiday with some friends, which should be fun. We are going to rent a cottage with a hot tub, and just take some lovely food and drinks and relax for an entire weekend.
    edited June 2
    Thank you @Paulette, sorry to answer you so late. I haven't been able to before. You are very kind to me. I too have already gone through several stages in life, with their intense moments and their learning. Even so, at the age of fifty, I am fully aware that I still have a long way to go. Relatively recently, life has been smiling at me again, crossing my path with that of an extraordinary woman of my own age, although with different experiences. Thus, my life advances with someone I adore; it advances in knowledge, it advances in sensitivity, it advances in daring. She's probably the reason I'm trying to improve my English now. She was in England a couple of times and speaks English regularly in her work. Returning to age, the years don't go by without a trace and I begin to feel that my memories are already taking on a little more weight than my expectations. It doesn't matter, our maxim as a couple is to let ourselves flow.
    So we take advantage of any moment to travel around Spain. The only requirements are that our economy allows it and our responsibilities allow it (she has a teenage son and a mother with Alzheimer's and I am also looking after my mother, although I don't live with her).
    @juancarlos_lopez what you discribed in your text is so thruth. Life is going on in a fast tempo. I am already 48 years married and my children are doing it very well and they gave me already many grandchildren.I am a bit older than you, I am retired now and my husband and my ,we travel a lot and enjoy life because the time who remains is probably shorter than the past time. I took many years care for my mom, she died 10 months ago aged 93 years.
    I wish you all the best for the coming fantastic time. Go for it.
    I'm sorry @Paulette about your mother. 93 give for a lot. I hope your mother enjoyed them and that you as a daughter will fondly remember her time with you and not with sorrow. It is very difficult to know what we are here for. But every second that we have not lived with intesity will be a second dead. So let's take advantage of the seconds we have left. There's a book by Mitch Albom entitled "Tuesdays with Morrie" that talks about this, about not stopping feeling and living with passion every moment. To live with passion every moment does not mean to live apart from the problems of the people around us. Quite the opposite.