Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

Monday Night Owls - 4 March 2019 - Digital Hoarding

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,172 Teacher
We read an article about digital hoarding, and how you can know if this is a problem for you:

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190104-are-you-a-digital-hoarder

Vocabulary Top 10:

stuff - a group or pile of things that are not specifically described; used to refer to something when you do not need to name exactly what it is

peanuts - (slang) a very small amount of money

convinced - completely certain or sure about something

clutter - a large amount of things that are not arranged in a neat or orderly way : a crowded or disordered collection of things

ammunition - the objects (such as bullets and shells) that are shot from weapons - often used figuratively, like evidence

daren't -used as a contraction of dare not or dared not; dare = to have enough courage or confidence to do something : to not be too afraid to do something

hamper - to slow the movement, progress, or action of (someone or something)

posterity - people in the future

disequilibrium - a loss or lack of balance

curation - the action or process of selecting, organizing, and looking after the items in a collection or exhibition

Do you think you are a digital hoarder?
Do you ever find it hard to find the files you want?

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,163 mod
    I am a hoarder in general, so I'm surely a digital hoarder.
    Let's see.
    I have now 3750 emails in my inbox, marked as read, nicely organised in files with labels.
    Some of them are really important like invoices, and some have an emotional meaning like Birthday cards.
    Then I have 6279 pictures in one account, but I have them too in another account , just in case that the one crashes then I'll still have the copies.
    A lot of stuff to store in physical boxes or cupboards.

Yes, I find it hard to find a file from time to time.
    Of course there is a search tool to find, but it's not that easy if you don't remember the name of the file.
    It costs me sometimes hours to find, but luckily I don't have to throw anything on the floor.
    I can just do that behind my desk, looking at my computer screen and sipping my coffee.
  • taghriedtaghried Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    The writer here said...
    If we feel that we are overwhelmed by Items, we thought this item could be physical, but there is also something called(digital files) caused this feeling of stress.
    Almost everyday companies invented new devices or programmes to give users this space to save more digital files.
    There is a man who took several photos and spent many hours to make editing. Actually, he was a hoarder when it comes to photos because he was sure that it will be useful in the future.
    The researcher proposal may be a new type of disorders, they called it(a hoarding disorder)
    Researchers found that hoarder wouldn't delete their E_mails because it maybe contains evidence or information that could help them or be against someone else, but probably it will be stored with other E_mails and they never look at them again.
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I'm an hoarder, both physical and digital; that's because I'm disorderly in my belongings.

It seems like I have a strong dislike for order, whatever the context and the meaning you want to give to the word: I suppose my mind is a bit of an anarchic one.

I couldn't repeat the same action the way I did the first time: that's the reason why, when storing a series of related files, I always rename them differently, using words and characters combined in diverse patterns.

That's as though I always play it by ear, making a spur of the moment decision about the names' pattern.

This is the reason why, wasn't for the folder's unvarying label, such string of connected files would be dotted all over the digital space on my pc.

It would be obviously disastrous, the moment you tried to get them back, which you usually have to do in an hurry.

You need a method, a well-organized and planned way to store digital informations, so that your work gets on smoothly without interruptions and frustrating findings that some files apparently got lost.

But it seems with me it doesn't work always that way, maybe it has also to do with the fact it would need me to take up too much discipline and boring tasks.

Indeed, it usually turn out to be quite the opposite: if you spend some more time tidying up your digital or physical environments, it pays back.

It will definitely save you both time and anxiety, when, by just a few clicks/steps, you can bring up that long searched or rooted for file/sock/bill.

As for the compulsive hoarding disorder, be it physical or digital, I think you can't fix it yourself, with just your own will and strength.

The best way to get rid of all that unuseful stuff is to get an helpful hand in it, be it a relative or a partner.

We should get the mental attitude that among any stuff regarding yesterday, only one tenth should be accumulated for the posterity: then, even if you stretches the rule a bit, it will be a good accomplishment nonetheless.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • TeachTeach Your Teacher HomePosts: 10,429 mod
    @april - Is that all?

I am afraid the Network has turned me into a digital hoarder, and it is because I am sure all this stuff will be useful in the future. That said, I store older files on external drives, and I try to curate them logically. Otherwise, how could I ever find them again?
  • aprilapril Moderator Posts: 11,163 mod
    edited March 2019
    @Teach , I often hear you say saying: "Where did I put that ....?" in your lesson, am I right? :D
    I am quite organised in "hoarding" my old files, for example stuff from the sessions from @Teach or @NatashaT .
    I put them in months and years, but how can I remember which month and which year I ever heard a word or an explanation about a word? And in which context? And in which cloud I put them?