Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
May
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

What do you think about beauty pageants?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 9,349 mod
I was watching something on television last night about a beauty pageant, and it was about children. I felt sorry for some of them as they didn't really want to do it, but their parents made them.

Do you think that in this day and age, beauty pageants are ethical, because they are just about what you look like?

Or do you think we should be trying to celebrate other things?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 38,238 ✭✭✭✭
    Whether it is children or adults @GemmaRowlands I really do not like them at all. I don't like dog shows for that matter either.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,349 mod
    mheredge said:

Whether it is children or adults @GemmaRowlands I really do not like them at all. I don't like dog shows for that matter either.

I don't like dog shows either, as the dogs get literally no say about whether they take part or not.
    I once went to a cat show. It was quite a curious experience, especially as soon after I saw a wonderful BBC drama about a cat show. It was remarkably accurate. I laughed all the way through.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 9,349 mod
    mheredge said:

I once went to a cat show. It was quite a curious experience, especially as soon after I saw a wonderful BBC drama about a cat show. It was remarkably accurate. I laughed all the way through.

I imagine a cat show would be more difficult than a dog show though, as nobody can make a cat do anything it doesn't want to do!
    You'd be surprised how compliant they can be @GemmaRowlands. It's a bit like going to the vet. Suddenly they become very submissive and not at all their usual selves.