Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
There I was on a July morning,
I was looking for love.
With the strength
Of a new day dawning
And the beautiful sun.
And at the sound
Of the first bird singing
I was leaving for home.
With the storm
And the night behind me
Yeah, and a road of my own.

Uriah Heep - July Morning
Learn English in June

Do you think going to college is worth it?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Posts: 10,331 Inactive
In lots of countries these days, it is hard to get a job, yet young people still choose to study for qualifications when sometimes they might be better getting experience of the workplace.

Do you think it is still worth going to college even if you might not get a job at the end of it, or do you think that there are better ways to get into work?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
    There is always less interest in vocational training, which is more likely to guarantee work. However not everyone likes getting their hands dirty or doing practical work. Most people think an office job is infinitely preferable, easier and maybe better paid.

That said, I think education is important for everyone. I just think expectations need to be more realistic.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Posts: 10,331 Inactive
    mheredge said:

There is always less interest in vocational training, which is more likely to guarantee work. However not everyone likes getting their hands dirty or doing practical work. Most people think an office job is infinitely preferable, easier and maybe better paid.

That said, I think education is important for everyone. I just think expectations need to be more realistic.

Yes I think a lot of people think that they are going to be in a million pound job as soon as they graduate, and that is never going to be the case.
  • winter_yellowwinter_yellow Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    I know some didn't go to college have a job but that's because they're hardworking, but I think finishing college is a great achievement in life before going into reality. After graduating there's lot option a line with your course but I know even those who finish school still couldn't find job. But I think having no school experience is more difficult in finding a work and have a limited job to do since they're undergraduate so it's still better to pursue college so you can choose what you want according to your degree I know there's still rejection but that's life.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 48,481 ✭✭✭✭
    You are right @winter_yellow. These days it is even more difficult to find a job without a degree. And even those who manage to find a job often find that they move up slower than their colleagues with degrees. Which isn't fair as they can just as intelligent and hard working. But unfortunately employers are usually looking for the paper qualifications rather than the person's experience or intelligence.

I do believe however that education is all-important. Though fortunately, there are many who prefer manual trades like being a plumber or electrician. Without these people, life would be very difficult. An MBA or degree in geography doesn't always help much if you need your house to be rewired or a leak fixed in the drains.
  • winter_yellowwinter_yellow Posts: 716 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree @mheredge it would be hard without them