Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"March is a month of considerable frustration - it is so near spring and yet across a great deal of the country the weather is still so violent and changeable that outdoor activity seems light years away."
Thalassa Cruso
March
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

The best way to tackle obesity?

GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands ModeratorPosts: 8,929 mod
In the UK, obesity is a growing issue (if you'll pardon the pun) and there is no doubt that we need to do something about it. However, people don't seem to be able to take responsibility for their own health, so the government are starting to tax unhealthy foods to make it more expensive.

Do you think that this is the best way to tackle obesity?
Can you think of any better ways that it could be dealt with?

Comments

• mheredgemheredge Teacher Here and therePosts: 36,662 mod
    I don't think that taxing unhealthy foods is necessarily a good way to reduce obesity. Education is by far the most important way, and arguably, where health problems are 'self-inflicted' (like with smoking), then maybe the NHS should not be expected to cover the full cost. If people realise that they are responsible for their own health and that they will have to pay, then maybe they will give up smoking and look at how to reduce obesity.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,929 mod
    mheredge said:

I don't think that taxing unhealthy foods is necessarily a good way to reduce obesity. Education is by far the most important way, and arguably, where health problems are 'self-inflicted' (like with smoking), then maybe the NHS should not be expected to cover the full cost. If people realise that they are responsible for their own health and that they will have to pay, then maybe they will give up smoking and look at how to reduce obesity.

I think by taxing unhealthy foods people will just spend more money on them, and will buy less healthy food, rather than the other way round.. which isn't exactly what the government are aiming for.
    I suppose the additional taxes could always go to the NHS to help pay for the treatment of obese patients @GemmaRowlands. Unfortunately it doesn't usually work that way.

Interestingly, it is thought that when you eat can have some influence on how you can gain or lose weight. For example, some preliminary evidence suggests that more energy is used to process a meal when it’s eaten in the morning, compared with later in the day, so you burn slightly more calories if you eat earlier. However, it’s still unclear how much of a difference this would make to overall body weight.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190304-how-meal-timings-affect-your-waistline

This movie is interesting too. It suggests how simple brain training that can help you lose weight.

• GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 8,929 mod
    mheredge said:

I suppose the additional taxes could always go to the NHS to help pay for the treatment of obese patients @GemmaRowlands. Unfortunately it doesn't usually work that way.

Interestingly, it is thought that when you eat can have some influence on how you can gain or lose weight. For example, some preliminary evidence suggests that more energy is used to process a meal when it’s eaten in the morning, compared with later in the day, so you burn slightly more calories if you eat earlier. However, it’s still unclear how much of a difference this would make to overall body weight.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190304-how-meal-timings-affect-your-waistline

This movie is interesting too. It suggests how simple brain training that can help you lose weight.

I think differences like that would only make a small difference, so people who are very overweight couldn't really lose weight just by eating exactly the same but at different times, for example.
    I find that I am sometimes dreadful at eating too much in the evening, if I am just nibbling over a period of time. It is far better that I go out or if I eat a proper sit-down meal. Snacking can easily get out of control for me.