Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In the merry month of May
When green leaves begin to spring,
Little lambs do skip like fairies,
Birds do couple, build, and sing.
A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
Learn English in May

The Gruffalo

HermineHermine Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭✭
Do you know the story of Gruffalo? He is pretty famous in England and the book came over to Germany, Austria as well. Kids love it.

The story is all about a little, tiny mouse who strolls through the woods and meets dangereous animals, like as, an fox, an owl and a snake. Each of them invited the mouse for having dinner with them, but she refused, because she has a meeting with Gruffalo and Gruffalo likes foxes, owls and snakes on its plate. The animals disappeard after hearing the story. The mouse thought the gruesome Gruffalo was just in her head, but one her way she meets actual Gruffalo ........

Why I tell you this, well, the book was initially published in 1999 - for 20 years. And for that event silver and gold proof coins with Gruffalo's face on it is now avialable.

Comments

• HermineHermine Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a short correction made by myself, because I can't open the edit fuction:

- a fox
    - ..but on her way

• mheredgemheredge Posts: 43,393 ✭✭✭✭
    Do you think little kids might be scared of the Gruffalo @Hermine? Do you think this is why the book was aimed at 20 year olds?

@Marianne, as fas as I know is Gruffalo now in his 20ˋs. Have I understood something wrong?
    Isn't Gruffalo like Peter Pan @Hermine? Does he ever have to age?
    I'm not sure Peter Pan went silent, noboday speaks of him.
    I suppose Peter Pan is a bit dated @Hermine. I don't know whether kids are really into him any more.
    As for my history, I never told the story about Peter Pan to my kids. I just told my kids how wonderful Disneyland had given him a place in their world.
    Have you never read the book @Hermine? It is a children's classic by J.M.Barrie and the character was first invented in 1902.

The Disney cartoon must have been one of the earliest as this came out in 1953.

I remember as a kid seeing the statue in Kensington Gardens. 'Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens' was published in 1906 and is one of four of Barrie's major literary works featuring Peter Pan.

I have to be honest, but I never read or heard the stories as my mother only discovered the books later; I was weaned on French children's stories and though my mother used to read to my sister Wind in the Willows and this sort of thing, I sort of missed out on British children's literature like this.

Wind in the Willows once we read it. I fell in love with two caracters from the story. Toady and Mole. The first is a very spoilt one but so what of stupid one and the latter is a house-bounded guy. (like me)
    I seem to remember Rat too @Hermine, but I don't remember very much about them other than I didn't like Toad for being so arrogant.
    The British produced series on telly about those caracters and in one of them Toad fell in love with an artist. But it wasn't the right one and his best old friend the badger advised him against such a love affair.
    Toady is very self-loved and so he finished the relationship.
    Hermine said:

The British produced series on telly about those caracters and in one of them Toad fell in love with an artist. But it wasn't the right one and his best old friend the badger advised him against such a love affair.
    Toady is very self-loved and so he finished the relationship.

Toady thinks highly of himself, he loves himself.
    He likes fast cars and wears fine suits.

He's born rich and it doesn't matter that his brain is as small as a pea.
    In-breeding is usually a problem with toads in his class @Hermine.
    Royalties and rich people liked to be among themselves.
    Foreigners living in another country sometimes are as bad @Hermine. Ex-pat communities in some countries can be very cliquey and just surround themselves with others from the same background and culture. I think Brits are particularly prone to this and maybe Americans. I certainly have seen this manifest itself in Nepal and other Asian countries that I have stayed any amount of time in.

But Toad is just a snob.
    Gruffalo's illustrator is Axel Scheffler, he's from Hamburg /De. He studied and lives in London.
    About Brexit he says, ..his felling is that they don't really want us here, although he is Britain's favourite illustrator.

Back to Toady he is loveable. I'm glad I don't have anything to do with, but his behavour and stupidity makes him special.
    I'm not sure Toady is lovable. I would run a mile from any guy I met who is anything like him @Hermine!
    Me too, but it is so nice to observe him and his friends are so loyalable.
    He won't be my first choice but I'm sure each pot will find its lid.
    Hermine said:

He won't be my first choice but I'm sure each pot will find its lid.

What a lovely phrase!
    :) In Austria it's often used and it is even an idiom.