Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer’s best of weather
And autumn’s best of cheer.

Helen Hunt Jackson - September
The breezes taste
Of apple peel.
The air is full
Of smells to feel-
Ripe fruit, old footballs,
Burning brush,
New books, erasers,
Chalk, and such.
The bee, his hive,
Well-honeyed hum,
And Mother cuts
Chrysanthemums.
Like plates washed clean
With suds, the days
Are polished with
A morning haze.

John Updike, September
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Monday Night Owls - 11 March 2019 - No-buy year

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,067 Teacher
edited March 12 in Work and Money
We read an article about the concept of a no-buy year - when you don't buy anything except for essentials:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190212-how-to-save-money-with-a-no-buy-year

Top 10 Vocabulary:

debilitating - to make (someone or something) weak : to reduce the strength of (someone or something)

swear off - to stop doing, having, or being involved in (something)

staple items - items which are used, needed, or enjoyed constantly by many people

resonated - to have particular meaning or importance for someone : to affect or appeal to someone in a personal or emotional way

awash with - containing large numbers or amounts of someone or something

buy into - to accept or believe (something) as true

gluttony - the act or habit of eating or drinking too much

fester - to become worse as time passes

Draconian - very severe or cruel

reductive - dealing with or describing something complicated in a simple or too simple way

Could you go a whole year without buying anything, apart from staple items?
What exceptions would you make?

@april @Rema @taghried @gam01hr @Just-Learn @Bassa @Maatuq @aladdin @aza
Post edited by NatashaT on

Comments

• aprilapril Moderator Posts: 10,930 mod
    For sure, I could go a whole year without buying anything, apart from staple items but there will be a lot of exceptions.
    First of all, we should buy something because if everybody thinks that everyone should do a no-buy year, a lot of shops will have to close.
    So for the economy, we need to buy, not necessarily excessive buying though.
    Apart from staple items, there will be a lot of stuff we will need or replace during a year, I think.
    For example cartridges for your printer, maybe even a new printer or a new micro wave because the old one doesn't work well anymore.
    New socks because there are holes on the heels! New mug, because the old one is broken!
    A lot of things can happen in a year, so I will not make a no-buy promise for a year.
    Of course I can do a no-buy for clothing or shoes or handbags or traveling, even for a new smartphone for a year; I could give you my promise without batting an eyelid. :)
  • filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I could sustain an entire year without shopping, but I believe I've got an easy solution to all compulsive buying-addicted women.

Listening women !

Fear your savings are going to reach the rock bottom in no time, because of your gluttony to put hands on whatever keep shining on malls' shelves ?

When walking down the aisles you invariably feel like magpies, your hawk's eyes keeping scouring the whole range of cosmetics until you eventually grasp a dozen with your claws-like fingers ?

Got your closet, fridge and chest of drawers full of a rainbow coloured lipsticks which you know you' ll never put on, but which invariably fall among tufts of lettuce or pairs of socks ?

When asked where you're going to spend your long craved and waited for summer holidays, you left all the colleagues' audience gobsmacked, by replying you have booked a country-wide two-weeks' tour of all shops of your preferred chain of skin care products ?

Then, here I am, to solve all your problems without asking you anything in return, apart from well deserved gratitude.

You can either keep on with your buying addiction or maintaining your savings, by doing only my shopping, even on a daily-basis, and not only restricting yourselves to staple-items.

Apart from make-up items, which I don't need, you can freely unleash your irresistible push to buy, only being careful of sticking to my shopping list, whose items I write down day by day, and not overshoot my daily budget-roof.

You'll get free access to my savings to carry out my boring shopping, without having to worry about hoarding and consequent mental issues.

Besides, I could also keep note of all shoppers at my disposal, who volunteer for some exceptionally heavy purchase, such as a new washing machine, dish-washer, stove and other kitchen appliances which break down with time.

I think compulsive buying affected women could still enjoy a hit of dopamine whenever standing in front of a newly purchased, tall, handsome and fascinatingly pale refrigerator, whichonly wait for proper location, if only it were a high and push to test all lipsticks on it.

To say nothing of the fact that, together with their maintained financial status, they can allow me to boost my healthy state by saving me time and energies which usually I waste to go outdoors shopping.

At the end, after having spent nothing for as long as 365 days, you can finally turn a no-buy year into a byebye-year and go holidaying in the Caribbean... at my exclusive expenses.
    glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,067 Teacher
    @filauzio be careful - giving your credit card to someone and setting them loose in a shopping center could be dangerous. There might be a few extra charges that you don't remember when the bill arrives at the end of the month! :D
  • NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,067 Teacher
    @april I think that if you can promise to give up those things so easily, without worrying, then you probably don't have a problem with compulsive shopping!

I agree though - you would need to have a clause that says you are allowed to replace something if it breaks. I couldn't imagine not buying a new fridge if it broke down just because you are trying to do a no-buy year!