Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A swarm of bees in May
Is worth a load of hay;
A swarm of bees in June
Is worth a silver spoon;
A swarm of bees in July
Is not worth a fly.
July
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

AM/PM Session - 12 March 2019 - Corporate perks

NatashaTNatashaT Posts: 1,045 Teacher
We read about some eye-catching perks which don't work, and some boring ones that do:

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190215-three-trendy-workplace-perks-and-three-boring-ones-that-work

Vocabulary Top 10:

call the shots - to be in charge or control of something

perks - something extra that someone receives in addition to regular pay for doing a job

tenure - the amount of time that a person holds a job, office, or title

shun - to avoid (someone or something)

dangle - to offer (something) in order to persuade someone to do something

decipher - to find the meaning of (something that is difficult to read or understand)

instigate - to cause (something) to happen or begin

gimmick - a method or trick that is used to get people's attention or to sell something

fad - something (such as an interest or fashion) that is very popular for a short time

turnover - the rate at which people leave a place, company, etc., and are replaced by others

What kinds of workplace perks have you experienced?
What other famous perks have you heard about?
What would be the best perks at work for you?

@Shiny03 @taghried @Just-Learn @Rema @filauzio @Maatuq @aladdin

Comments

• filauziofilauzio Genoa ( Italy )Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beers' fridges at work ?
    Friday's parties to greet the week-end ?
    Free friday's meals at work ?

Sometimes I feel like the companies are playing dumb, when it comes to their staff real needs.

Probably I belong to a past era, but I think the basic facts are still the same, at least in many existing relationships among companies and their employees.

Dear employer, do you want to increase my productivity ? Well, you can take back your frozen beers and rise my wage instead.

Do you want to encourage my loyalty ? Well, make sure my rights are respected: allow me the full allotment of paid licenses I'm entitled to, according to my signed contract.

On occasion of the renewal of a collective contract, the industrial organization once offered a free wealthcare assurance to all workers.

You could have thought it were a free perk but, the fact the workers had little say on their contract's clauses, should have cautioned you a bit, against a rushed euphoric assessment.

It weren't really, but it were rather a replacement for a due wages' rise, just making up for getting short of cash on paycheck.

Nevertheless, by assessing how often, on average, workforce would have taken advantage of the range of free provided sanitary services, the supposed ' perk ' wouldn't absolutely have made up for the salary's losses.

The employers could still chuckle with themselves, rubbing their hands over the great deal struck with the Unions, its terms resulting advantageous to them, while detrimental to the employees.

I understand the case cited above have little to do with the perks allowed by tech firms to highly skilled employees nowadays; nonetheless, I invariably grow a bit suspicious when I'm told an employer's workplace is so friendly and frills scattered as to get almost level with your home's.

Maybe it can happens with small realities though: in my country, Italy, I heard that the CEO of a tech start-up offered the whole staff a three-days holiday to Ibiza, because they hit the standards set at the beginning of the year, keeping to the deadline they had agreed upon.

However, when asked what perk would better fit the majority of workers, I suspect the largest part would say a /three/four-days week.

Hopefully that utopia could come true once artificial intelligence provided robots will replace current fleshy bosses.

I am into this idea too; especially these days when the prospect of a retirement date feels more like a myth to sweeten the pills while carrying on with the daily drudgery, rather than an event to expect in due time.

So, instead of brooding about blurred delusive pictures of you still in decent age sunbathing on a deserted beach, while sipping your drink to drown your current frustrations on work, why not thinking of a short work commitment right now ?

What better perk than the one which, at the striking of eight hour on wednesday/thursday, allows you to cry: WEEK-END IS STARTING RIGHT NOW, ANYONE FOR THEMSELVES !!!

glad to stop strict diet, splashed in belly flop? Don't care you're not light, here on English hop !