Hello.

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


There is wind where the rose was,
Cold rain where sweet grass was,
And clouds like sheep
Stream o'er the steep
Grey skies where the lark was.

Nought warm where your hand was,
Nought gold where your hair was,
But phantom, forlorn,
Beneath the thorn,
Your ghost where your face was.

Cold wind where your voice was,
Tears, tears where my heart was,
And ever with me,
Child, ever with me,
Silence where hope was.

November by Walter de la Mare
August
When you first apply to join the forum, you will have to wait a while to be approved. Just be patient.

Once you are a member, don't forget to check the calendar(s) for session times. Sessions are held on different platforms, so be sure to find out where the session will take place:-

Speaking Practice

LEN English sessions:-
http://www.learnenglish.de/calendar/learnenglishcalendar.html

Listening Practice 24/7

English radio playlists on Discord.

Should alcohol be banned on flights?

mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
What do you think? The UK government is reviewing airport licensing laws at airports. However, following another drunken brawl on a plane, the question is whether passengers be breathalysed before boarding or even forbidden from boozing?

I have only come across alcohol-related problems a few times in all the times I have flown. The first time, flying from Moscow (@Practical_Severard) some Swedes had been drinking far too much in the airport during their transfer. One of them was physically dragged out of the plane as he was totally out for the count. The others were pretty obnoxious later on into the flight, and the air hostesses had a hard job keeping them from disturbing other passengers (it was a night flight too). The other two times it was a case of passengers taking liberties with free alcohol served on the long-haul flight. One time someone drunk enough to stagger and fall in the aisle (fortunately there was a doctor on board and he groggily got to his feet again after a while). The other was just a case that the guy could not shut up and spent hours talking when everyone was trying to sleep.

I sometimes think that the cabin crew could control this better as they could just refuse to serve passengers unlimited alcohol.

I have quite often seen unpleasantness on cheap airlines departing from British airports but I don't think alcohol was involved and funnily enough, never on the same airlines returning to the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/shortcuts/2019/mar/18/should-alcohol-be-banned-flights-drunken-brawl-plane?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTAzMjA=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email


«13

Comments

  • Practical_SeverardPractical_Severard Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20
    mheredge said:

    The first time, flying from Moscow (@Practical_Severard) some Swedes had been drinking far too much in the airport during their transfer.

    Swedes have to live on a strict diet in their country, no wonder that some of them get out of hand when they find themselves near a duty-free shop. I was told that Finland-Sweden ferries were especially notorious.
    mheredge said:

    What do you think?

    I don't drink that's why I wouln't care if alcohol is totally banned. As for the other people, I think that the revenue of the duty free business is too important for airports, but visual checks on boarding and a certain delay in the in-flight sales is a good thing. And, of course, the cabin crew should count the shots.

  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    @Practical_Severard I pity the Baltic States where I understand they have large groups of Scandinavians coming across on the ferries all the time just to get smashed.

    It is actually quite unhealthy to drink alcohol while flying, as it is dehydrating. For this reason, I tend not to drink much unless it is a short haul flight, and these days they are rarely offered free and I would rather not pay inflated prices for a glass of wine to go with the mediocre food they all these days serve up. I have noticed that some airlines don't offer alcohol so freely and you actually have to request it. They don't put it on the trolley and this way most passengers don't seem to bother. I wouldn't care if it were banned on flights, though some people seem to think that it calms nervous passengers. I'm not convinced.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen anyone got plastered on Emirates flights I took, where all kinds of alcohol is served freely. Nor have I seen any troubles related to excessive drinking on those flights. However, I've seen so many people being drunk on low-budget flights where alcohol is not available even for money. I'm not for banning booze but I think punishment for wrongdoing on board must be more severe to deter passengers from drinking too much.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    The Swedish passenger I saw missed his flight as a result of drinking too much @Vok but I agree, the punishment has to meet the crime. The Nepali guy who nattered non-stop all night was a pain, and I did ask him a few times to shut up, but he was just a silly boy in effect, who took advantage of the free booze to down a half dozen whiskies (Nepalis are useless at holding their liquor too).

    I have never seen any bad behaviour on any of the Middle Eastern airline flights.

    Unfortunately loutish behaviour happens all over the place when there's too much alcohol being consumed. I was sad to hear from a friend today, which is the special festival of Holi where people splash each other with water and colours in Nepal and many other places, that some foreign tourists were drunk and misbehaving in the streets of Kathmandu. This is something I have never heard of happening there before.


  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    I don't think there should be alcohol, as there is simply no need for it. I believe that people must have a problem if they cannot go for the length of a flight without it - however long that flight is. Alcohol can cause unruly behaviour in some cases, which isn't ideal if you're in the sky! And it is also dehydrating which isn't healthy at the altitude you're at during a flight, and if you aren't completely on the ball you may not be able to respond as well as you should to an emergency situation.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with you @GemmaRowlands. I remember paying for an upgrade to business class on British Airways once. It was is only time I have ever done this, but it was a short flight and no more expensive than the cost of the extra luggage allowance. Unfortunately the whole experience was ruined by an extremely obnoxious guy sitting next to me who had no doubt fueled up on free wine in the BA lounge before boarding and then was asking for more on the flight.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I agree with you @GemmaRowlands. I remember paying for an upgrade to business class on British Airways once. It was is only time I have ever done this, but it was a short flight and no more expensive than the cost of the extra luggage allowance. Unfortunately the whole experience was ruined by an extremely obnoxious guy sitting next to me who had no doubt fueled up on free wine in the BA lounge before boarding and then was asking for more on the flight.

    It's just awful, when you have to spend such a large amount of time on a flight with someone, in such close proximity to them.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    Fortunately it was only a London-Nice flight @GemmaRowlands, which doesn't last much more than an hour and a quarter.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    Fortunately it was only a London-Nice flight @GemmaRowlands, which doesn't last much more than an hour and a quarter.

    That isn't too bad. I have heard of flights having to make an emergency landing because of drunken behaviour.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought this was hilarious. A BA flight landed in Edinburgh instead of Düsseldorf by mistake today!

    It seems someone got the flight's paperwork mixed up. I bet the passengers were a bit surprised when the plane landed and they were told 'Welcome to Edinburgh.'


    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47691478
  • VokVok Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's something unprecedented. It's really funny @mheredge . Not funny though, for those who had a connecting flight in Duseldorf.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope BA has compensated everyone for the several hours of delay @Vok. I'm surprised it has never happened before, as it sounds like it was quite a genuine mix up. I expect BA pilots will be double-checking their destination extra carefully now!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I thought this was hilarious. A BA flight landed in Edinburgh instead of Düsseldorf by mistake today!

    It seems someone got the flight's paperwork mixed up. I bet the passengers were a bit surprised when the plane landed and they were told 'Welcome to Edinburgh.'


    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47691478

    Wow, I bet somebody got into a lot of trouble for that, and there is no doubt that it could have a negative impact on the day of the passengers!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I bet BA pilots will never live it down! Imagine the teasing they must be getting down the pub!!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I bet BA pilots will never live it down! Imagine the teasing they must be getting down the pub!!

    Definitely, that's if they are even pilots anymore. I wonder if they could have lots their jobs for that?
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I doubt that it was in any way the fault of the pilots. I think it was to do with someone assuming the flight plans were the same as from the day before or something like this. So they gave the pilots the wrong instructions.
  • VokVok Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what passengers thought when they saw Edinburgh approaching. I'd think that the plane was hijacked or something.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think they realised until they touched down and the announcement was made welcoming them to Edinburgh @Vok. As it happened exactly one week before April Fool's Day, maybe to start with they thought it was a joke.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    Vok said:

    I wonder what passengers thought when they saw Edinburgh approaching. I'd think that the plane was hijacked or something.

    They most likely didn't realise until they had already landed and it was announced, and I expect they thought they had got on the wrong plane!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    It's the sort of mistake that hopefully won't get made again unless of course the pilot is drunk!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    It's the sort of mistake that hopefully won't get made again unless of course the pilot is drunk!

    Well you would hope that if the pilot was drunk, he wouldn't be allowed in the cockpit, but I suppose you never know!
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    There was a tragic plane crash of a Bangladeshi airline in Kathmandu last year @GemmaRowlands where it turned out the pilot was high on something and totally misunderstood the English instructions for landing. It was awful as the plane had many young Nepali medical students returning to Nepal from Dhaka for their vacations. I think over 150 people died and it was totally down to the pilot's fault. I think this sort of thing happens very rarely. I met an easyjet pilot on Saturday who has probably flown me many times between London and Nice as it turned out. I must say I felt that I was in good hands!
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    There was a tragic plane crash of a Bangladeshi airline in Kathmandu last year @GemmaRowlands where it turned out the pilot was high on something and totally misunderstood the English instructions for landing. It was awful as the plane had many young Nepali medical students returning to Nepal from Dhaka for their vacations. I think over 150 people died and it was totally down to the pilot's fault. I think this sort of thing happens very rarely. I met an easyjet pilot on Saturday who has probably flown me many times between London and Nice as it turned out. I must say I felt that I was in good hands!

    Wow, that is an awful shame. It is so very irresponsible for anyone to even think about flying a plane when they are not in the right mind because of a substance.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe that other crew members couldn't have done anything @GemmaRowlands. It took about a year to get to the bottom of it all. There was a recording of the last minutes that clearly demonstrated that in no way was it air traffic control's fault. Later the evidence about the pilot being on drugs and arguing with his colleagues all came to light. He shouldn't have been allowed to fly in that condition.
  • GemmaRowlandsGemmaRowlands Moderator Posts: 10,331 mod
    mheredge said:

    I can't believe that other crew members couldn't have done anything @GemmaRowlands. It took about a year to get to the bottom of it all. There was a recording of the last minutes that clearly demonstrated that in no way was it air traffic control's fault. Later the evidence about the pilot being on drugs and arguing with his colleagues all came to light. He shouldn't have been allowed to fly in that condition.

    I'm pretty such British pilots have to take tests before they fly, don't they? To make sure they're not under the influence of anything.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think so @GemmaRowlands but it should be something to think about if there are too many such cases.
  • Shishio13Shishio13 Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    This reminds me the movie "Flight" starring by Denzel Wash Washington. It's about alcoholic pilot who was involve in a flight accident. I recommend this film, it's really nice.
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I've seen this (I think I've seen ALL of Denzel Washington's movies!)
  • mheredgemheredge Posts: 40,747 ✭✭✭✭
    Another story that supports alcohol and flying don't mix. This time a lawyer who was drunk and displayed obnoxious racist behaviour towards the air crew landed her with a jail sentence of eight months.

    Interestingly there is a comment suggesting that maybe it is not just in economy class where the worst offenders are found. The judge noted that “such offences are often committed by people of impeccable character”.

    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/04/lawyer-jailed-for-spitting-at-flight-attendant-during-racist-tirade?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZGF5cy0xOTA0MDU=&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&CMP=GTUK_email

  • VokVok Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭
    @Shishio13 'Flight' is really good film. I think it's down to alcohol the pilot played by Washington managed to keep his wits about himself and grounded a plane with passengers all but unscathed.
Sign In or Register to comment.